VMware Cloud Community
orione1974
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0U3 and Software RAID

We have an Intel S1200RP motherboard with 5 SATA ports and in addition the RAID controller. We did an installation test, and found that the motherboard is compatible with Vmware ESXi 7.0U3, but the RAID controller is not. Is it possible to do a software RAID on ESXi 7.0U3 by connecting the four disks directly to the motherboard via SATA? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Stop thinking along that road now !!!
If you dont have ESXi compatible RAID-controllers - do NOT use them. Period.
If necessary rather use standalone SATA drives than any fake-raid stuff.

Ulli

0 Kudos
PatrickDLong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As @continuum said - strike this thought from your consciousness 😉  Software RAID of any kind is absolutely unsupported under ESXi.  I would check the compatibility list and buy a card with a compatible RAID chipset.  As an aside, use 7.0 U3c or U3d, nothing earlier than U3c.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
orione1974
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
orione1974
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestion. At this point I am thinking of switching to a new RAID controller to replace the existing one. Having an Intel motherboard, I am thinking of the "RSP3WD080E" model, which is compatible with the version, although it will be discontinued in 2022. However, I am not very experienced in RAID controllers. In addition to this card, to be inserted into the motherboard via PCIe, I imagine that you need a cable and an additional card that can physically accommodate the connections for the SATA disks.

RSP3WD080E - Vmware compatibility guide for this product 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos