VMware Cloud Community
ravishankar1000
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0 on RAID5

Hi all 

We Have Installed ESXi 7.0  on RAID 5.  The Read / Write Operations are too Slow. !   To Start any VM it is Taking 4-5 Minutes.  To Install any OS it is taking  3-4 Hours.

Even After Installing the OS .the Operations are too Slow. 

We Installed ESXi 7.0 on Below Hardware Configurations 

Intel® Xeon® E5-2600v4 Series processor

Dell H300 Raid Card

3 x 2TB 3.5-inch 7.2K RPM, 6Gbps SAS Enterprise Hard Drive

0 Kudos
3 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
I assume your server is Dell, you used this manufacturer's custom image to install VMware vSphere?

Custom images are available at My VMware or at the manufacturer's website.

Verify that all your hardware especially CPU and disk controller is supported by VMware on your compatibility matrix

VMware Compatibility Guide

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Finally, it is always recommended to update the hardware firmware before installing any operating system or upgrade

Best of luck.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I think there are a couple of reasons, why your system is slow.
The H300 controller does not support write-cache, i.e. it works in write-trough mode, and since ESXi doesn't do disk caching itself, you may see a write speed between ~5 and ~15 MB/s. In addition to this, RAID5 with 3 disks cannot do multiple writes simultaneously, because each write needs to lock 2 disks, one for the data, and one for the parity.

What you should look for is at least a RAID controller with a Write-Back-Cache option. This will make a huge difference, even with your RAID5 configuration.

André

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Which server model is this?

0 Kudos