Rex_Chen
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0 Update 3a lost user group on every reboot

Hi,

I created a new User and a custom Roles, then add the permission for it also click the "Add as group".

After reboot the ESXi host, I find this user do not have any permission , while I try to delete its permission in Manage permission and re-add it , it shows : vim.fault.UserNotFound . I was confused.. So i check the /etc/group find the user group which I created before reboot is missing. So I check the Role, it's still there

So It stacks here : The user did not have the right permisson because its' group is missing is the system. Can not Remove the User / Role / Permission because hey are bound.

Finally I use CLI command to add the user group :/usr/lib/vmware/busybox/bin/busybox addgroup NAME , then I can delete the delete its permission in Manage permission ,  I also need to do it again : add the permission for it also click the "Add as group" and everyting back to normal..

Is it a bug? if so I'd like to report it.

BTW, I try to find some CLI command wants to add to the local.sh to solve the problem but found nothing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like a bug to me, i.e. the "Add as group" option shouldn't be available, nor create a /etc/group entry.
Unless I missed something, support for local groups has been removed as of ESXi 5.1.

André

PS: Just found https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2050764

0 Kudos
Rex_Chen
Contributor
Contributor

Still found the bug in U3a

0 Kudos