VMware Cloud Community
Amy1988
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 7.0 (Homelab) won't run two GPUs

Hello everybody,

I've got a small homelab for learning (ESXi 7.0 U1c - 60Days evaluation version). It's a Lenovo P340 SFF (W1290, 128GB ECC and 2x Nvidia Quadro P620s). Everything is working fine. I only have problems with one of the two GPUs. When I passthrough GPU1 to a windows machine, everything works straigt away (Ok, I had to set hypervisor.cpuid.v0=false, but thats it). With GPU2 it's a different story: Same Model, same manufactor, but regardless of whether I assign it together with the working GPU1 or alone to a windows machine: I always get the famous Nvidia Code 43.

So I swapped the cards and it seems to be related to the PCIe slots. Both GPUs works in the first PCIe slot and the error 43 only occurs in the second one. Does anyone experienced this behavior before or can someone give me a hint?

It's not really urgent, I am just playing around. (But I would like to test some network traffic behavior with Citrix HDX3D)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy1988
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to this thread i found the solution. I tried the following /etc/vmware/passthrough.conf combination and both Nvidia P620s cards are working now.

# NVIDIA
#10de ffff bridge false   #Old Entry
10de 1CB6 d3d0 false  #New Entry

0 Kudos
tonyadduci
Contributor
Contributor

How did you get ESXI 7 to recognize the storage controller and the network card integrated onto the motherboard?

0 Kudos
naseeb18
Contributor
Contributor

hi, 

did you get it to work with the integrated network card and storage controler ?

thanks

0 Kudos
tonyadduci
Contributor
Contributor

No, I bought a new Intel network card and that was recognized but the storage controller was not recognized by the latest version of ESXi 7. The NVME that comes with the P340 was not visible.

0 Kudos
Amy1988
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

please excuse my late reply. I am mainly active in the Citrix forums (and I had this thread no longer on the screen).

The onboard NIC of the P340 SFF does not work with the ESXi hypervisor. I added a Lenovo 7ZT7A00482 network card for this and it works like a charm. And i installed the ESXi host on a SanDisk Cruzer USB2.0 32GB USB stick. Started from this one, everything is recognized without any problems. (The storage is set to AHCI in the BIOS - Both NVMe-Drives are recognized by the hypervisor)

I hope, I could help

0 Kudos
tonyadduci
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the follow up. My goal was to have the onboard NIC recognized and a Samsung 1tb NVME. Looks like the storage controller is the root cause as is the network adapter on the motherboard. Hmmm... 

I also tried this NIC without any success.
Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210T1 
Tony

0 Kudos
tonyadduci
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the follow up. My goal was to have the onboard NIC recognized and a Samsung 1tb NVME. Looks like the storage controller is the root cause as is the network adapter on the motherboard. Hmmm... 

I also tried this NIC without any success.
Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210T1 
Tony

0 Kudos