VMware Cloud Community
rikun
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6 with Adaptec 2405 hangs

Hi,

I have problem with new server using Adaptec 2405 RAID controller. The server is Lenovo TS140, which runs fine with local Kingston SSD drive (where ESXi is installed). Only with the SSD storage there is no problems and virtual machines run smooth. When I attached 2405 controller the system  becomes unstable. Almost any action to Adaptec storage causes system to freeze and the hard reset is only way to recover. Usually system freezes when trying to create a new datastore to Adaptec logical disk. Sometimes I have succeeded to create the datastore, but system will freeze eventually when trying to create a new virtual machine to the datastore. There is no errors in log files before freeze or other indication that what might go wrong.

ESXi version is 6.0.0.U3 (tested also with U2 Lenovo image with same results).

BIOS of the server and Adaptec controller are both up to date.

Any ideas what to try next?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rikun
Contributor
Contributor

An update from Adaptec support:

We don't have any utility to test the function of the controller.  If you were able to access the BIOS and create an array without failure it's not likely the controller is faulty.  Since we don't test this controller in the Lenovo or with ESXi 6, I can't tell you without a doubt it should work in this configuration.

Is anyone else using 2405 with the ESXi 6.0.0?

0 Kudos