VMware Cloud Community
demiyo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6 on Mac mini 2012 Yosemite not booting

Hi,

im running a Mac mini 2012 with ESXi 6. I create a virtual machine to run Yosemite. On my Mac, with VMware Fusion 7.1.1 it run. When i upload it to my ESXi server, it fail to boot and stay on one point. When i use verbose boot, it tell me bluetooth missing.

Someone can help ?

Greetings

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi demiyo, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

There's a known issue with the "Upload to server" feature in Fusion 7 when used with Mac OS X virtual machines, which causes the loss of one of the configuration options necessary for Mac OS X virtual machines to run.  The symptom is that the virtual machine appears to hang during boot, never getting to the login screen.

To work around the issue:

•     Power off the virtual machine.
  •     Log in to the ESXi shell (if it's not already enabled, use the ESXi console's Troubleshooting Options section to enable the ESXi Shell and/or SSH).
  •     Change to the virtual machine's directory (/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/...).
  •     Edit the virtual machine's configuration file to add the following line:

smc.present = "TRUE"

• Exit the editor and power on the virtual machine.  It should now successfully boot.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NiallSHatton
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Have a go at this:

At the bootloader during boot, when you see the prompt "root:" type

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mkdir intel_back

mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/

touch ../ExtensionsReboot -v

I have heard that it has resolved it for some. Personally not come across this yet myself. However I found when trying to install Yosemite that building a Mavericks VM first and then upgrading it in guest to Yosemite was far easier.

Accessing bootloader - Mac OS X: How to start up in single-user or verbose mode - Apple Support

Best regards,

Niall Hatton

http://www.v-admin.co.uk

Virtual Enthusiast

Niall Hatton Virtualisation, Storage and Sysadmin Blog http://www.v-admin.co.uk
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi demiyo, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

There's a known issue with the "Upload to server" feature in Fusion 7 when used with Mac OS X virtual machines, which causes the loss of one of the configuration options necessary for Mac OS X virtual machines to run.  The symptom is that the virtual machine appears to hang during boot, never getting to the login screen.

To work around the issue:

•     Power off the virtual machine.
  •     Log in to the ESXi shell (if it's not already enabled, use the ESXi console's Troubleshooting Options section to enable the ESXi Shell and/or SSH).
  •     Change to the virtual machine's directory (/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/...).
  •     Edit the virtual machine's configuration file to add the following line:

smc.present = "TRUE"

• Exit the editor and power on the virtual machine.  It should now successfully boot.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos