VMware Cloud Community
sukiVM
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6 host patches update without interrupting guests?

Hi All,

Is there a way to update ESXi 6 host patches when guest vms are running and without interrupting them?

I dont Vmotion at this moment.

Thank you.

suki

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Buddhika01
Contributor
Contributor

You may need to restart the host after the Patch Deployment. So definitely you have to move or shutdown Guests.

sukiVM
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the quick clarification

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Normally, I vMotion VMs off one Esxi host, upgrade through command line (Putty) and then reboot the host.

Even though there would and should be no impact to running VMs, I would say to vMotion VMs, update ESXi host and reboot it during same maintenance window when you have it.

Don't keep the hosts not-rebooted, after update, running for long.

Let me know why you want to update ESXi hosts with VMs running on them / without rebooting hosts.

Edit: formatting.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Suki,

you can look up the release notes of the patches or in the Update Manager. It is documented if the patches need a reboot or not. Most core-patches do need reboots though.

Cheers

sukiVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hiii,

Thank you for the reply. I have few critical applications running in Guests. This is the reason I am exploring options to patch the system without rebooting.

I do not  have vmotion at this moment.

Warm regards,

Suki

0 Kudos
sukiVM
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much

0 Kudos