VMware Cloud Community
arubio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6 and mult-writer flag missing

Wondering if any one has come across this in ESXi 6.0 (vCenter 6.0 U1).

When you go into Edit Settings > Options tab > General > Configuration Parameters and try to add the following:

scsi0:3.sharing = multi-writer (or whatever scsi id is being used)

It doesn't stick. Curious if this was removed or replaced in version 6.0 of ESXi. Seems 5.5 still allows this to be added. But anytime I try to add it, the configuration change goes through but when I look at the settings again, it is no longer there (which I've seen in the past when you put in a wrong setting). And when I boot a cluster, I can confirm the disks are not being "shared" as one of them complains that the disks are locked.

It only seems to happen in 6.0.

I try also with powercli without success:

get-vm EJLDPRU1| New-AdvancedSetting -Name "scsi0:2.sharing" -Value 'multi-writer' –confirm:$false –force

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
shayne_niu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello arubio ,

I met same thing ...so I tried three ways... from vSphere client, Web client, Powercli to add scsi sharing ,but did not work.. you can test if succeed by taking snapshot ..(if shared ,snapshot error will occur and you need to fix VM to boot.)

Also I tried download vmx file , add like "scsiX:Y.sharing = "multi-writer"" to vmx, and upload . then worked, but you sitll cant see it from the three way...

This is funny...should be marked in VMware KB.

Thanks!

0 Kudos