VMware Cloud Community
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.7 no detect drives after RAID card upgrade

Dell R720 I have upgraded from H310 to H710 raid card, my vdisks detect and auto imported over and I am able to see the disks in Windows, iDrac etc but ESXi no longer sees these? Do I need to edit the esx.conf like I had to do in order to repair "orphaned" nfs share. ESXi see's the raid card in the hardware tab.

Capture2.PNG

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Capture7.PNG

I followed VMware Knowledge Base  and now this is the output of the command I believe I have fixed it then

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So in the CLI I can see all of my disks but not in the gui? is there a way to import these?

unknown.png

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My disks are on the devices what do I do now?pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

95023289_1662592447243635_7797427329621295104_o.png

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have to create a VMFS based Datastore.

If there is already a VMFS on that LUNs and your ESXi see these filesystems in the past than most likely he detect these datastore as snapshots. Please share a

esxcfg-volume -l

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Capture6.PNGHi I have been following so many crappy KBs to restore my VMFS that I have probably destroyed it now and I am just going to restore from backups as to fix in ESXi is taking far too long and it's absolutely crap with dealing with orphaned devices/configs. The extents where not missing until I tried to rebuild the partition table as VMWARE KB said that could be a problem.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sorry i cant help you with extends or mis-configurated partitiontable.

We are a Dell shop and performing FW upgrades is part of my job and i never loose a datastore.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Capture7.PNG

I followed VMware Knowledge Base  and now this is the output of the command I believe I have fixed it then

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I tried resign the VMFS but that made them not appear at all now when I do esxcfg-volume -l

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

snapshot.PNGOkay so they have mounted after reboot like snapshots now how do I convert them?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you have already resigned them you can just rename them to the old name and youre done.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
louij2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes just renamed and got my VMs back now. This has taken me nearly 24 hours to fix would have been quicker to just rebuild my array again

0 Kudos