VMware Cloud Community
dgibbs10
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 network configuration

Hello new user here. I just recently installed a trial version of esxi 6.7 on an ASUS X399-A motherboard with a AMD Ryzen 1950X Threadripper. I have a windows 2016 server running dhcp on a different box and esxi is not receiving an IP address. I'm pretty sure dhcp is working correctly because I recently used WDS to push windows 10 images. It is currently using the default IP of 169.254.181.90 and says dhcp lookup failed. I have attempted to set a static IP address but was unable to ping from the windows server. My best guess is that I don't have the proper drivers installed. Is there a way to install the motherboard nic driver via the esxi cli? Any help is appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm pretty sure ESXi 6.7 won't allow you to install if it doesn't detect a compatible network adaptor on install.

Have you tagged the NIC with ESXi management traffic?

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
dgibbs10
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I only have one nic showing up under Network Adapters, it's vmnic0 and it is selected as default management network.

The details page shows

Hardware label: PCIEX16_1

MAC address: XXXXXXXXXXX

Connection Status: Disconnected

Used By:vSwitch0

I don't think I fully understand how the virtual adapters and virtual switches work. This is a initial install for a lab environment at school so kind of learning as I go. I try to find guides but most are simple walkthroughs of the the actual esxi install. I guess I'm looking for initial network configuration guide that will show steps for getting it connected. As of right now I only have access to direct console with zero connectivity to my windows server 2016. The set up is one Cisco SG-200 switch with the two servers plugged in, nothing more.

-David

0 Kudos
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you configured the right vlan/settings on the switch? The server thinks it’s disconnected, so it looks like a cable fault or incorrect config on the switch.

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
dgibbs10
Contributor
Contributor

I've just tested the network cables so I'm fairly confident thats not the issue. The only settings I changed on the switch were to disable DHCP and set a static IP. I set the VLAN on the ESXi to 1 which is default for switch, and this did nothing. Here is some screenshots of the VLAN management configuration. These are all default settings not sure what I should have changed.CreateVlan.JPGInterfaceSettings.JPGPorttoVlan.JPGPortVlanMembership.JPGDefaultVlanSettigns.JPG

0 Kudos
dgibbs10
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what you mean here. The web interface is being accessed on the server 2016 computer. I don't know what you mean by typing in new IP.

0 Kudos