VMware Cloud Community
skeeter395
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.7 licensing model

Hello All,

I have 1 physical server with 2 physical processors both having 8 cores. I have installed ESXi 6.7 with the license provided. I have a vm that requires 32 vCPU's and this machine will not run because the max vCPU with the current license is 8. I understand that I would need to purchase some licensing so I can run this VM; however, it is not very clear as to what I will need to purchase. Possibly a vsphere license? but no clue on how many? Like I said above I have 1 vm on this box will only every have 1 with no plans on adding more. If anyone can help me unmuddy the vmware licensing waters a little I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The cheapest way you could run that would be to purchase the vSphere Essentials kit license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The cheapest way you could run that would be to purchase the vSphere Essentials kit license.

0 Kudos
skeeter395
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to be clear as this license says: "This kit includes 6 CPU licenses of vSphere Essentials" So if I license the physical CPU's on the server I can have as many vCPU on my vm as physically possible? And since this license includes 6 CPU licenses I would only need to purchase one license?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So if I license the physical CPU's on the server I can have as many vCPU on my vm as physically possible?

Yes

And since this license includes 6 CPU licenses I would only need to purchase one license?

Essentials is a "kit" so you don't just license one host; your get a kit license which comes with an entitlement for 6 sockets. You just wouldn't be using the other four.

0 Kudos
skeeter395
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot. You have been very helpful.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

for your host you need only 2 of 6 licenses (one license per socket)

the virtual cores is unlimited  - because you can assign max. 32 (2*8 cores * hyperthreading)  thats enough

0 Kudos