VMware Cloud Community
NivL
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 - VM unregister won't save after reboot

Hello,

I am really stuck here. I have a ESXi 6.7 installed (without vCenter) on a Dell server with local storage only. It worked fine untill last week. Due to raid configuration reset the datastores has vanished and the VMs shows as invalid.

I tried to remount with the sanpshot from CLI (e.g: esxcli storage vmfs snapshot mount -l) - everything returned to normal - but not after I made a reboot.

I tried to resignature the datastores (e.g. esxcli storage vmfs snapshot resignature –volume-label) - after the resignature - I could see the datastores after reboot but the VMs were still invalid.

I tried to re-register each VM by right clicking the .vmx file from the web interface - this caused the VMs to be active - but after reboot they returned to be invalid.

I tried to unregister the VMs (with the web interface and with CLI - e.g. vim-cmd /vmsvc/unregister <id>) but they all come to hunt me after - reboot.

I tried editing the vmInventory.xml file with VI - removed all entries within <ConfigRoot> and </ConfigRoot> tags - but STILL - everything returned after reboot!

I don't know what to do next.... any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Tags (2)
1 Reply
halfbreed18
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to resolve this? 

0 Kudos