VMware Cloud Community
jeffshead1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 - LSI 9260-8i RAID Controller

I'm currently on ESXi 6.5u1 (without vCenter) and have MegaRAID discovery working and can see the status and get alerts but I would like to update to ESXi 6.7.

Has anyone come up with a decent way to monitor and send email alerts about RAID, drive, battery, etc. issues concerning a ESXi 6.7 machine that has a LSI 9260-8i controller card? It seems VMWare and Broadcom will never add support for ESXi 6.7.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
minivlab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like you can pull the driver from here: VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

Just select the correct version of ESXi

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello jeffshead1​,

Welcome to Communities.

Not quite a solution to your query but a ton more information on this ongoing topic can be found here:

vsphere 6.7 LSI raid card, can't get drive status

Bob

0 Kudos
V_Peter_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the correct answer, if you follow the link: VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search​, then change to ESXi v6.7U3.

Then expand the info "+" and follow that link to: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-LSI-MEGARAID_SAS-66045400-1OEM&pr...,

Then open: "Read More". it identifies the LSI-9260.

I have been using the LSI2308, but plan to add a host to my "Home" VMware Cloud, using the LSI9260.

I'll update the post once I'm done.

Pete

Esse Quam Videri
0 Kudos
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a total mess since Broadcom bought LSI/AVAGO, on the support downloads page on Broadcom site for 9260-8i and 9261-8i if i click on the link to download the latest drivers it points to the mr3 driver instead of megraid-sas driver:

"The certified driver package 7.702.14.00 is downloadable from the vmware web site for

ESXi 6.0

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESX60-AVAGO-SAS-LSI-MR3-77021400-1OEM&prod...

ESXi 6.5

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESX65-AVAGO-SAS-LSI-MR3-77021400-1OEM&prod...

Please download from this location. A free vmware.com account is required to login and download."

This for sure is a problem in Broadcom support site, because the driver is for sure megraid-sas.

I asked for clarification opening a case in Broadcom but unfortunately they closed the case because my 9261-8i is OEM from SUN so they won't give support for it.

0 Kudos
bearhntr
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone ever get this working?

I have an ESXi 6.7U3 Build 15160138 installation and the LSI 9260-8i controller with 6-drive RAID 5 in the box.  I am able to see the DATASTORE in ESXI - in fact was able to create a Windows VM on there - but in the HARDWARE Monitor - I cannot see the controller -- also I am not able to get MSM to see the controller either.  

bearhntr_0-1653337464445.png

bearhntr_1-1653337529303.png

0 Kudos
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now Broadcom might be buying VMware.

0 Kudos
bearhntr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response --- but, how does that help me? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You should open a new post, for better visibility and quicker answers.

If your server is branded as Lenov, HPE, Dell and more, these manufacturers provide on their websites the customized ISO image of VMware vSphere in the version you need. This image includes the drivers and tools for the server and its devices.

If the ESXi host has the appropriate drivers it will be able to receive hardware alerts (sensors) and configuration of its devices.

ESXi 6.7 - LSI 9260-8i

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=12384

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
bearhntr
Contributor
Contributor

@e_espinel@e_espinel  

Thank you for the response.  It is a DELL server - but the RAID controller was added - after I got it (it was a de-comm box from work that was going in the garbage).  

I will have to see if I can find the DELL  .ISO for ESXI.  

Would I be better served with ESXI 6.5 - given this 9260-8i controller?  As ESXi 7.x  does not support it (which I find ODD - this is a very common RAID Controller). 

0 Kudos