VMware Cloud Community
deltaman2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.7 - How to add secondary ip address to my ESXi nic

Hi,

I have two NICs configured in my ESXi (Public and Private). I want to assign a second ip address to my public NIC. Is it possible to have multiple ip addresses in a single NIC? If yes, please provide the instructions. Thanks in Advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The physical NIC port operates as an uplink port to the physical switch you have connected it to, the NIC port does not have an IP address.

What does have an IP address is the VMkernel NIC on the vSwitch which uses your physical NIC port as an uplink.

So if you want to access ESXi via 2 different IPs via that physical NIC port, you need to create another VMkernel NIC on your vSwitch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
harry89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What exactly you mean by private and public .

Ip is assigned to vmk ..NIC is layer 2 card having mac address

For an esxi host you assign management ip or any ip which uses network stack of kernel to vmk's .

you can have multiple vmk with different ip ranges/subnet . They have the option to configure their own gateway

Harry
VCIX-DCV6.5 ,VCIX-NV6 , VCAP-CMA7
Mark answer as correct/helpful if it solves your query
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The physical NIC port operates as an uplink port to the physical switch you have connected it to, the NIC port does not have an IP address.

What does have an IP address is the VMkernel NIC on the vSwitch which uses your physical NIC port as an uplink.

So if you want to access ESXi via 2 different IPs via that physical NIC port, you need to create another VMkernel NIC on your vSwitch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
deltaman2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Makes sense.

0 Kudos
DD15
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can this be done on the host or through vcenter?

0 Kudos