VMware Cloud Community
Jeffrey231
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7.0 VM not picking up DHCP on Vlan ID

Hi All

I've got a weird one here.

I've got a Ubuntu server running via a 10gb nic that will not pick up ip addresses. Static or DHCP.

I've got a ubiquity pro24 POE connected to the server via it's 10gb port. It's shows it's giving an ip address.

If i assign the vlan '16' to the virtual nic or not i get nothing, I've check the SFP+, changed the fibre.

Not sure what i'm missing. I'm using a free version of 6.7 but i couldn't find anything in the limitations saying that 10g Nic were restricted.

vlan 16 should be a 172.16.0.x/24 address range.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 1.09.17 pm.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Jeffrey231 
Showing a screenshot or diagram of your port group, vSwitch, and uplink will help others to be able to help you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Jeffrey231
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @scott28tt 

I believe that is everything you asked for.

Not very familiar with ESXi

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 6.39.50 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 6.39.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 6.43.25 pm.png

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @Jeffrey231 

Your configuration looks fine at first sight, but from network standpoint, how the vlan tagging was done on the 10g network?

It's EST (tagged on physical switch), VST (tagged by vSwitch) or VGT (guest tagging)? 

• If you set strictly vlan 16 on physical switch, then the vlan id should be 0 on vSwitch. (EST)
  • If you provided vlan trunk which includes multiple vlans to the dvswitch, then the vlan id should be 16. (VST)
  • I assume you don't want the guest vms to manage their vlans.  (VGT)

As a troubleshooting option you can create a vmkernel interface on 10gb vSwitch with an ip, and use vmkping to see where is the problem is. If you can ping the default gw then you don't have connection issues.

vmkping usage: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003728 

Thanks,

Blog: vxprt.hu
Jeffrey231
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @vxprthu 

It's tagged on the vSwitch.

The Physical nic/port is passing all vlans.

I did some ping test with the vmkping, making sure that I could only ping the 16 vlan on the 10g.

All passed through successfully to the gateway, I could not ping any of the vm's on the 16 vlan, one has a static ip.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you were able to reach out the gw which is out of host, but the two vms can't ping each other on the same host right?

Can you confirm both nic is connected to the vms? 

Also you wrote:

"If i assign the vlan '16' to the virtual nic or not i get nothing,"  -  When created vmkernel in Vlan16 did you get ip for that?

Can you please share the followings:

-vm's network config 

-Network config (ip, gw, etc...) in the guest os

-Vmkernel's network config in vlan 16

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Jeffrey231
Contributor
Contributor

@vxprthu 

Should i have another VMkernal for Vlan16 here?

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 5.31.40 pm.png

 Guest OS ip details

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 5.37.37 pm.png

Not sure the difference between:

-vm's network config

-Network config (ip, gw, etc...) in the guest os

do you want a network diagram to the Guest OS from the router?

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

-vm's network config  ‹ right click on the vm and select edit. open the network settings, and take a screenshot pls

-Network config (ip, gw, etc...) in the guest os ‹ its already shared

Regarding the vmkernel, yes!  Please create a new vmotion vmkernel in the vlan 16, give an ip to it (172.16.0.x.) Then open the shell to the esxi and use the vmkping on this vmkernel and try to ping the gw

vmkping -I vmkif 172.16.0.1 where vmkif is the vmotion interface.

If you could share the vlan config on the physical switch would be great. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Jeffrey231 

Does the VMkernel on that host NEED to have any communication with other devices in VLAN 16?

For vMotion, storage access, HA heartbeats, management via vCenter Server, backups?

If so, then yes you'd need a VMkernel port. If not, then no.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Since the guest vm is not able to communicate through vlan 16, i don't see other options to confirm the physical network, than create a vmkernel and try to ping the gw.

Either pings or not the status will be confirmed, then vmkernel interface can be removed and we are closer to figure out what is wrong.

0 Kudos