VMware Cloud Community
JamesC42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 Build 14320388 cannot create new user.

I get an error every time I try to create a new user. At first I didn't think much of this, but now it's stopping me from joining a vCenter server as it wants to create or modify the vpxuser account.

When I go to create a new user I receive the error "Failed - A general system error occurred: passwd: Permission denied". The only account I have at the moment is "root", so that's what I'm doing this from.

This is a clean install using the Dell customised ISO (ie it has the Dell drivers I need built in). When I enable ssh and ssh in to the host using the root and run passwd I get "Permission denied".

I cannot try this from any other accounts as I cannot create any accounts to try this from.

As stated above, this is making it so I can't join the new host to a vCenter server.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

I installed many of those Dell ISO custom images, but this kind of problem never happened to me. If you don't have any "Virtul machines" yet, I recommend reinstalling Esxi. With the root user you have to log in.

you installed this (in the English version):

VMware ESXi 6.7 U3 | Dettagli sui driver | Dell Italia

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesC42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2020-07-04 11_53_33-Window.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

I installed many of those Dell ISO custom images, but this kind of problem never happened to me. If you don't have any "Virtul machines" yet, I recommend reinstalling Esxi. With the root user you have to log in.

you installed this (in the English version):

VMware ESXi 6.7 U3 | Dettagli sui driver | Dell Italia

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
JamesC42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wasn't able to get any solutions that worked, so I just rebuilt as you say. That was always my fallback, but I was hoping it was a known issue or had a resolution just in case a rebuild saw the same thing happen.

First thing after rebuilding I tried creating an additional account. Succeeded. I installed using the same media and process as the prior time.

0 Kudos