VMware Cloud Community
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.5u3 - dual 10GB vmnics stops working after update

Hi,

Having trouble with a Gen 10 host, Patching to the latest version and one of the dual 10GB vmnics stops working

so, ive installed, HPE Gen9 Plus Custom Image for ESXi 6.5 U3 Install CD

The two VMNICs at this point are working fine, then, when i upload the latest patch and upgrade/install via command line, after reboot, one of the VMNICs stops working. i'm updated the firm ware on the Gen10, replaced the the physical adapter, checked all the compatibility matrix. cant understand why it would stop working after i patch it. i have deleted the Image and the patch, downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled, still having the same problem

pastedImage_0.png

the build and SPP are compatible

let me know if anyone has any thoughts

Regards

Arshad

Moderator note (a.p.): Changed the title from "ESXi 6.5u3" to the issue.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure I understand this correctly:

• does the NIC work after a fresh installation using the HPE OEM image?
  • if not, which image was installed before (the one that worked)?
  • which command (exact command line please) do you use to update the host?
  • which exact network card (vendor/model, HPE SKU) do you use?

What I could think of is that the latest update overwrites a custom driver from the HPE OEM image.

André

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine

Please take a look at this https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00053955en_us

Warm regards

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

This happened to me in the past. For me was a conflict with the VIB for the NIC cards that for some reason, the built in were not working.

Identify the NIC card and find the driver (Once you have that info, from here you can check compatibility and will redirected to the download section for the specific driver https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io ​ )

Then you can use ImageBuilder to add this drivers into the ESXi image, then install/upgrade the esxi and I should work.

This guide How to build a custom ESXi Image  From the "Create Custom ISO using Image Builder with vSphere Client" part.

Hope that helps

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for looking at this

So,

when i do a fresh install with the latest image: VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-Update3-15256549-HPE-Gen9plus-650.U3.10.5.5.16-Mar2020.iso

it works fine, then i when i patch it, to any three most recent patches, 16576891, 16389870 or 16207673. One of the dual VMNICs stops working

To patch the host i upload the patch to the local datastore and run

esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/ESXi650-202006001.zip -p ESXi-6.5.0-20200604001-standard

Adapter:

Adapter 1 - HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+ Adapter

Firmware version: 7.18.27

ilo 2.14 feb 11 2020

Like i said, it only becomes unknown after i patch it. other wise its fine.

0 Kudos
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, i think you youre right, a.p

the patch overwrites the custom driver from the HPE OEM image.

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

Check inside the patch and remove the conflicting vib, then apply. Should work

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you check which vibs have been replaced with the update command (teh command's output shows this)?

What may be worth a try is to reinstall the NIC drivers (https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI65-QLOGIC-ISCSI-QFLE3F-101...) after the update.

André

0 Kudos
ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I've tried to install drivers/VIBs but its not working.

esxcli software profile update --depot /vmfs/volumes/datastore/esxi6.5uX-mgmt-bundle-3.4.5-8.zip

and

esxcli software vib install -v

esxcli software vib update -d

non of these commands seem to be working. am i doing something wrong?

also tried to install this

QLogic-Network-iSCSI-FCoE-v1.0.101-offline_bundle-14825209.zip

All uploaded to the local datastore, host is oin maintenance mode...

I cant seem to find a disparity in drivers, so i've nothing to remove

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It may be necessary to allow a downgrade with the command to install the drivers I mentioned.

Anyway, it would be helpful to find out what the VMware patch bundle replaces during the update from the HPE image. Is it possible to reproduce this with your hardware, i.e. install the HPE image and then run the update command, and post the command's output.

Hint: You may run the update command with the --dry-run option, which will only show what's going to happen, without actually changing anything.

André

ashsevenuk80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi a.p

Thank you first for your suggestion.

I'm going to reinstall from a fresh, using the HP image that i know works, then going to use the dry run option to see.

I'll keep you posted 🙂

Regards

Arshad

0 Kudos