VMware Cloud Community
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 with HP DL380 G9 and Raid-Controller P440AR, high latency

Hi there,

few days ago i installed my test system with esxi 6.5 on the host above. But since i start there with some vm's the latency from my raid 10 makes very interessting things. It looks like a sinus wave.

I think i didn't have an impact with the performance, but it looks like not normal that the latency is going down and up every second.

I attached a picture that you can see what i mean.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you confirm server  firmware version ?

0 Kudos
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

I hope you mean the esxi version?

6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 6765664)

Kind regards

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am asking for server hardware ( Raid-Controller P440AR) firmware version .

0 Kudos
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, i'm sorry.

Here From the Raid Controller:

Firmware Version : 4.52

For Information, i use 4 of this SAS:

Seagate, ST1200MM0088

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you can see below KB published by Hp

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center 

Please check with HP vendor for more information ...

0 Kudos
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i already found that.

But with the VMWare 6.5U1 there is already an newer version of this driver installed. So that would help anything.

Especually any other ideas what i can do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have doubt on  raid controller battery. I ham not  expert in HP hardware  but i have seen problem found in raid controller cache .

if you check with Vendor then will have good idea about raid controller cache.

0 Kudos
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

i will take a look at the battery, but i think esxi shows them as ok.

What i can also try is to enable caching if battery is disconnected or not fully loaded. I think so i could find out if the battery is ok.

I haven't enabled smart cache through the licence, but that cant be the problem or? Because i didn't use ssd's.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What i can also try is to enable caching if battery is disconnected or not fully loaded.

I think so you could not enable the caching .  need to check if you configure  read and write ratio  on raid controller .

Hp support team help you more about it and let you know any changes required .

0 Kudos
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help,

i think i found the issue.

It had nothing to do with the P440AR. The latency is shown by the HPE Dual MicroSD where is Esxi running on it.

If i use an stock usb stick and install there esxi everything works perfect. What i can do now? Or is this an issue from the scratch partition?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kabanossi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not surprised. These dual-SD modules can be flaky from time to time. I've had a lot of interesting things happening with Dell dual-SD modules.

For the sake of curiosity, you can benchmark your array performance while USB stick is being used, and compare the results to dual-SD configuration. Most probably, there will be no difference.

0 Kudos
n4p
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your Feedback,

yes thats what i already have done.

I made a disk Benchmark with dual sds as boot-device and without them. And the result Shows the same, something about 6000MB/s, so where it should be.

The stick just Destroys the Graph what is present in the webinterface. Smiley Sad

But what's really importend difference is the performance between esxi 6.5 and esxi 6.5U1.
Can it bee that 6.5U1 is a lot of slower that the version before?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Please check below is the device you are using , and  you are facing slowness you have to reach to vendor .

HPE Dual 8GB microSD Enterprise Midline USB Kit OID6339687 | HPE™ United Kingdom

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos