VMware Cloud Community
gorek
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 on Lenovo SR850v2

Hi,

From officially VMware compatibility matrix Lenovo SR850V2 server is compatible only with ESXi 7.0 (and above) but compatibility matrix says only 'no one officially tested installation certain software with certain hardware' not 'this installation and running software is impossible to do on server'.

From Lenovo page I see this server components are very similar to Lenovo SR850 (which is compatible with ESXi 6.5).

Has anyone try run ESXi 6.5 U3 on Lenovo SR850V2 server?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The Lenovo SR850V2 was announced in June 2020.

In the OS compatibility matrix of Lenovo it also only indicates VMware 7.0.

In some cases newer servers are not tested for older software versions, as well as older servers are not tested on newer software versions.
You can then look for partial compatibility of your devices such as CPU, memory, NIC, Controller and so on).

What you have to take into account is that when working on a Hardware and/or Software not certified by its manufacturer is that in many cases its support will be limited.

It is recommended to use Lenovo's custom image for Inslar VMware Vsphere, attached link
https://vmware.lenovo.com/content/custom_iso/

Good luck, and please comment how it went.

As an anecdote, I once had to install VMware vShere version 6.0 on IBM blade HS23. The servers worked without problems, but they were not in the compatibility matrix. A year later it appeared in the compatibility matrix.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos