VMware Cloud Community
SCC
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 no network connection

I have been running the 'free' version of ESXi 6.5 for around a year with no problems. Over the weekend the server lost connectivity to the network. I did see that the license was expiring a few weeks ago, but of course did nothing Smiley Sad. When I use the DCUI at the server the management server settings are correct for the network. When I test the setting all the pings come back failed.

When I enter the command line interface and ping 127.0.0.1 OK, 192.168.0.250 (management network) OK. 192.168.0.1 DGW, host unreachable. I have used esxcli network namespace to check the nic and it shows the nic is up and the link is up. I tried taking the nic down and back up, no love. The server is a Lenovo Think Server T130 with a xeon processor

So, could an expired license cause this?

Can I apply a new license from the cli?

Should I just reinstall 6.5 with a new license and move on?

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A host with an expired license may prevent you from powering on VMs, or to do some other management tasks, but it won't break the network.

Are you able to access the VMs over the network?

Did you try to restart the Management Network from the DCUI yet?

André

0 Kudos
SCC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Andre

Yes, I have reset the management network and no the VMs do not respond.

I am leaning toward the NIC even though it shows up as working in the software. The reason I say this is that there was no driver for the built in NIC on the TS140 with 6.0 and I then I went to 6.5 to get the driver. I will check back once I find something.

Don

0 Kudos