Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.5 new VM will NOT boot iso

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to build a new CentOS VM.  I downloaded the iso last night, moved it over to my server this morning and built the VM.  I choose the CD/DVD Drive as an ISO and connect at power on; however, every time I power on the VM it tries to boot from the LAN, but never seems to boot the ISO.  I've tried  multiple times(re-selecting the ISO), no luck.

help?

THanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

at this point, I think I have a bad iso, just tried a win10 iso and it booted.  I'm going to re download and try again

thanks for your help

Greg

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As long as the ISO is definitely bootable.

Try;

• Power on the VM
  • Connect ISO
  • Ctrl-Alt-Delete
  • VM should reboot and load ISO
Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Immortal
Immortal

Go into the BIOS of your VM and ensure the CD-ROM device is listed before any others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In some cases, I found I needed to hit the 'ESC' key when you see the VMware splashscreen to get to the boot order selection. Then specify the CD/DVD drive ISO for the VM's settings to connect the ISO.

Once connected, then select to boot from the device via the console. If that doesn't work, it may be the ISO is not bootable per the previous comment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the quick replies.  I've tried most of this, but this is still all I get.

This is my first time using this iso, so I can't say with 100% certainty that its bootable.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess would be the ISO isn't bootable, test with another ISO.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Champion
Champion

When the VM is actually powered on, check the VM settings to make SURE the CD is actually connected to the ISO file. I've had this as an issue from time to time. Once you confirm that the VM is seeing the ISO, and it's actually connected (in the 'edit settings' panel, then give the VM a three key salute and see if it picks up the virtual CD for the boot. You can also check the bios settings of the VM to make sure the CD is listed in the boot order. I would set the CD to the second option, so that it will boot from the vmdk first (once the OS is installed). I've found this helpful for when others are working on VMs and need an ISO mounted to the CD at all times (the OS install ISO most of the time). This setting prevents the VM from booting into the OS installer on each reboot.

Hosted Systems Engineer III (VMware environment) Making (forging) blades again
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

at this point, I think I have a bad iso, just tried a win10 iso and it booted.  I'm going to re download and try again

thanks for your help

Greg

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No worries, good luck Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Champion
Champion

Try a different download source for the CentOS ISO file... I usually try for one closer to my physical location.

Hosted Systems Engineer III (VMware environment) Making (forging) blades again
Highlighted
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello glousteau, I was wondering if the problem went away after using a new downloaded CentOS iso?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I was getting the same problem trying to boot from an ISO which I've booted several times before.  I recently upgraded VMWare Host to 6.7 and there my problem started.  I had tried the solutions listed in the previous reply with no avail.  But the solution was turning on "Secure Boot" in the settings of the VM under VM Options > Boot Options > Secure Boot.

Once I turned this option on the ISO booted without any further issues.

Here is the link that led me to the solution:

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/09/microsoft-windows-server-2019-stig-vmware-vsphere.html

Good Luck

0 Kudos