VMware Cloud Community
Bzzone
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 managed by vCenter: vpxuser account

I noticed in the HOL labs with ESXi 6.5 host that when looking in the Host Client that the vpxuser account is not showing up. I checked back in a 6.0 lab and there is the vpxuser and dcui user accounts as local accounts on the host. Am I missing something? Where are these located now or they not there anymore?

Thanks

Brian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have checked in my lab, Whatever he said is correct In vSphere 6.5 If I access the host using host client I see only one user which is root. And In vSphere 6.0 If I access the host using vSphere client I can see all three users DCUI,VPX and root.

According to me these three users(vpx,root and DCUI) is still there in esxi 6.5. Only thing is for some reason it is not showing up in host client. To confirm this I took the putty of my esxi 6.5 host and ran esxcli system account list command and as an output I can see all three users.

0 Kudos
Lionel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

is your ESXi Host managed by a vCenter? The vpxuser account is only created when a host is added to a vCenter. Furthermore, with 6.5 there was an introduction of enhanced security login. So anytime a domain user such as domain.com\averagesysadmin does something, you will see domain.com\averagesysadmin the in the host client. The only time you see vpxuser is when the vCenter does something on it's own like a DRS vMotion or an HA operation or any other thing like that wasn't user initiated.

Lionel

0 Kudos