VMware Cloud Community
Redhatcc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5 - Volume Auto Grow

Hi,

Hope some of you guys can help with a simple question. When I run the "vol show" command on a specific volume to see the current setup from SSH shell into the ESXi Host, I receive the following settings (truncating since it shows a lot):

Maximum Autosize (for flexvols oly): 30GB

Minimum Autosize: 30GB
Autosize Grow Threshold Percentage: 85%
Autosize Shrink Threshold Percentage: 50%
Autosize Mode: off

With the above settings, I see the "Autosize Mode: off" is set, which would make me believe it wouldn't grow on when the "Autosize Grow Threshold Percentage" is reached. However, it seems that it is growing.

My two questions are:
1. What setting actually "turns on and off" the growing and shrinking of a volume?

2. If Autosize Mode is set to off, wouldn't that overrule the growth and shrinking of a volume?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Be aware that 'vol show' command you run in NetApp CLI not in ESXi CLI.

Volume autogrow is a NetApp feature.

If you have a volume, autosize is disabledand  free space in volume ends than you will get out of space errors and probably hanged VMs (if they are there)

If you have autozise enabled than NetApp can add additional space to a volume when threshold is reached or it can try to delete old volume snapshots to free up the space.

About shrink - NetApp will shrink volume when space drops below the threshold

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Be aware that 'vol show' command you run in NetApp CLI not in ESXi CLI.

Volume autogrow is a NetApp feature.

If you have a volume, autosize is disabledand  free space in volume ends than you will get out of space errors and probably hanged VMs (if they are there)

If you have autozise enabled than NetApp can add additional space to a volume when threshold is reached or it can try to delete old volume snapshots to free up the space.

About shrink - NetApp will shrink volume when space drops below the threshold

0 Kudos
Redhatcc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply! I typed that before my morning cup of Joe. Your answer will do good sir!