VMware Cloud Community
Atlas6421
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 - Video Card Questions

Hey all,

I'm running into an issue with a particular application installed on a VM. The application is somewhat data intensive when its loading particular site maps for a particular region for the client. I thought maybe adding additional video card memory to the particular VM would help increase the performance but had some questions as we typically don't modify this value when building VM's. Our typical setup leaves total video card memory at 8 MB, with 3D graphics disabled, 3D Renderer set to Auto, and 3D memory set to 256 mb. (Host is a Dell R620/R630) Here are my questions:

1. If we allocate more video memory, let say 64 MB or more, how exactly does this work?There isn't a dedicated graphics card installed on this host, so where is this pulling from?

2. While adding these additional resources, does this pull from already allocated resources to the VM (like RAM) or does this pull overhead from somewhere else?

3. Anything I should be mindful of before increasing? Would this have any adverse affects?

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Atlas6421
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any insight to this question?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You haven't really said what this issue consists of. What exactly is the problem here? How did you notice it? What data (numbers) do you have that indicates this is the case? It may just be a guess that video memory is an issue, but unless you have some performance numbers it's best not to guess.

0 Kudos