VMware Cloud Community
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5, Oct Build and macOS High Sierra 10.13

Has anyone been able to use high sierra on 6.5update1 w/ all patches to date?  Upgrades of vms from 10.12 to 10.13 result in an error in booting represented by a circle with a cross through it.  Creating a brand new guest and booting from the installation media causes Disk  Utility to display a disk labeled disk1s1 with a size of 32KB.  It is not format-able.  The vm's are set to version 13 and the guest os is the highest available in the menu "10.12". 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well running the 10.13 upgrade from 10.12.6 with the "noapfsconversion" option allows installation of 10.13.  Performance of the entire host goes to sh*t if a single VM has a snapshot.  ugh.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What hardware are you using for ESXi host?

0 Kudos
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A 'trashcan' mac pro.

0 Kudos
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

MacPro6,1

12CPUxIntel Xeon E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHZ

32GB RAM

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't have that configuration but haven't seen an issue on a Mini. Have you checked your Pro to see if there is a UEFI firmware update available? I know when that first came out there were some updates that did fix stability issues in ESXi.

0 Kudos
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Installing Sierra to a usb drive so I can boot of that and install any available firmware updates.  I'll let you know what I find.

0 Kudos
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found that I had to wipe ESXi completely off the system to install OSX 10.9 on the internal disk of the system because that is the only place and OS that the bios update for this system would run from.  Yay apple!   Prior to the wipe I had 1 vm that I was able to upgrade to 10.13 without issue.

After updating the bios I wiped the internal SSD and installed ESXi 6.5 u1 w/ the October update.  Performance is TERRIBLE now when a VM has a snapshot.  On a host with a 1tb SSD , 32gb of ram, 12core processor, it should be fine.  1vm running on the host with macos 10.12.6 with a thick provisioned disk runs fine without a snapshot. Once I take a snap it keeps giving me the pin-wheel ever few seconds.  Even a copy of a 5gb file from an SMB share brings it to its knees with the guest responding to key-presses intermittently and the host web interface taking 5-10 seconds to fill in information when navigating around.  I'm not sure what the difference is between 6.0 and 6.5, but something is very wrong here.

Anyway, worse luck with 10.13 after the bios update and ESXi upgrade.  Booting from 10.13 installation iso I still cannot see the virtual disks.  When I run an upgrade of the OS from 10.12.6 to 10.13 the system eventually gets to a reboot where it cannot find any boot disks and gives me the standard vmware blue ansi boot menu.  At this point I boot from a 10.12 installation iso to open disk-utility and see what the status is of the disk. The 10.12 ISO sees the internal disk, but with 0 partitions, and lists it as "unformatted".  Might be something going on there with APFS.

I'm probably going to end up going to fusion soon w/ me logged into the console 100% of the time to keep the vms running if I cannot figure something out.

0 Kudos
Quotes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well running the 10.13 upgrade from 10.12.6 with the "noapfsconversion" option allows installation of 10.13.  Performance of the entire host goes to sh*t if a single VM has a snapshot.  ugh.

0 Kudos