VMware Cloud Community
Doc65
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5 License

Due to a drive failure I had to re-install Esxi 6.5 this went fairly well, but It can't go beyond the 6.5 as it is a Dell 720 and not supported on 6.7 or 7.  I was able to re-download 6.5 iso, but can no longer find my licenses that I used to have show up.  They used to show down to the 5.x series even.  Is there any way to resolve this short of giving up on VMware & installing Hyper-V as that will run on this T720?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Paid for licenses, or a free license?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
This kind of questions such as where can I get a license 6 (of course for free, no matter that it is very very old and out of support) or I had a license 6 years ago, but I don't remember it and I don't have it registered among the important things.

Is it that the new generations forgot the basics of recording and documenting everything in IT ?

I bet that if we ask for Windows licenses, they are all registered, photographed and backed up.

Nothing personal, just my appreciation.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi @e_espinel

For what is my very personal point of view, your appreciation is more than acceptable.
Sometimes I struggle to figure out how people manage to forget their license keys or credentials to access their "own" systems.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos