VMware Cloud Community
crazycen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.5 HP OEM Purple Screen in HP 380 G7 Server

I installed ESXi 6.5 HP OEM in my lab HP 380 G7 Server.

ISO:VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-OS-Release-4564106-HPE-650.9.6.0.28-Nov2016.iso

after installation ,esxi crash.

QQ图片20161119111630.png

but VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0-4564106.x86_64.iso not have this issue.

vExpert | VCIX | VCP-DCV | VCAP-DCV | VCP-NV
Tags (2)
61 Replies
GodfatherX64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

so, how is it going for you??

which method to upgrade is more stable?

create custom iso with old driver

or upgrade with vanilla

should i stay on 6 u2, it's a production environment with 6 DL360 G7

0 Kudos
skyraven
Contributor
Contributor

Custom made VMWare Image (with image builder).

Installed from it.

Been running stable ever since (no more purple screen of love).

GodfatherX64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

and how about the iLO interface/hw monitoring problem you've mentioned, is it still there??

0 Kudos
petrescu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi skyraven

Is your installation of ESX 6.5 on HP DL385 G7 still stable and reliable?

I would like to hear some feedback.

Thanks,

fpt

0 Kudos
tempus74
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I followed skyravens post and its working perfectly now

thanx for putting togheter a guide

0 Kudos
RNDWM
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to find this syncing up w/skyraven's post:

giving it a go shortly & will report back.

0 Kudos
RNDWM
Contributor
Contributor

No joy for us, we still ran in to the PSOD.

This link:

mentions a patch (towards the end of the replies), does anyone know what MonsterMuffin is referring too?

0 Kudos
Janers
Contributor
Contributor

We also ran into this problem on one of our test ESXi-hosts. It was running ESXI 6 U2 and this is what happened after the upgrade:

1. Shut down all guest systems and put the host into maintenance mode.

2. Updated the OS with the following command: "esxcli software profile update -p ESXi-6.5.0-20170304001-standard -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml" and rebooted when finished.

3. Server booted up just fine, but I could see that the HP vibs where not up to date, so I proceeded to run this command: "esxcli software vib update -d "http://vibsdepot.hpe.com/index-ecli-650.xml" in order to get the latest vibs.

...and after a rebbot - the dreaded PSOD! Listing the sfcb-smx as the culprit.

So, after quite the ordeal to fix it (including firmware updates, etc.), I found this solution for us:

1. Started the server with an Ubuntu live CD

2. Mounted the hard drive containing the file boot.cfg

3. Edited the file and removed the following from the file: " --- hpe_smx_.v00" (keep the spaces/formatting, as between all the other packages in the config line)

4. Rebooted the server - No PSOD!

5. Removed the package with the following command: "esxcli software vib remove --vibname=hpe-smx-provider"

6. Rebooted the server and still no issues

...okay, it's a dirty fix - and we're not running on the latest vibs from HP (which doesn't work). But it's running, and since it's a test system I'll leave it at that until HP releases a new vib for smx. And best of all, no re-installation!

0 Kudos
rherold
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

on HPE customized image 6.5 U1 has still the issue ( here on DL385 G7):

Bildschirmfoto_2017-08-01_13-41-55.png

0 Kudos
tulsianandg
Contributor
Contributor

I do not see DL385 G7 as a supported H/W for 6.5 U1, please follow the below link:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

It seems to be supported upto 6.0 U3

Thanks,

Tulsi Anand G

0 Kudos
rherold
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but this is not driven from vmware. All hardware parts in the server are compatible, but HPE don't want  certify the old systems.

The problem is an HPE driver (smx-provider from hpe) the older G6 systems run for example without a problem.

If you use the plain vmware ISO it runs also but you have no hardware monitoring. So these seems to be an

hpe fault they break their server with their own software.

0 Kudos
DavidinCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Last week, I donwloaded the newest version of ESXi 6.5a and instlaled it on my DL380 G7 with no problems.

0 Kudos
tulsianandg
Contributor
Contributor

Can you try to update the host using the latest offline bundle??  Below is the link for ref:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_273a2cb9e7484b51aab09c4a49#tab-histor...

0 Kudos
DavidinCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As a NooB installing updates on ESXi...how the heck do you install that ?

0 Kudos
tulsianandg
Contributor
Contributor

You may use the vmware update manager/CLI method to install the same.

If you have multiple hosts, you may use the vmware update manager else, CLI method should be good.

“esxcli software vib” commands to patch an ESXi 5.x/6.x host (2008939) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
rherold
Contributor
Contributor

Last week, I donwloaded the newest version of ESXi 6.5a and instlaled it on my DL380 G7 with no problems.

You have used the Vmware ISO or the HPE ISO?

0 Kudos
rherold
Contributor
Contributor

Can you try to update the host using the latest offline bundle??

Not needed the HPE ISO for 6.5 U1 is already on the same version (3.1.1)

0 Kudos
mathanmailid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a known issue with the HP iLO drive which causes the PSOD. Please refer this post PSOD esxi 6.5 on HP DL560 g8 (ILO ALLREADY UPGRADED)  and HP KB HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

0 Kudos
rherold
Contributor
Contributor

There is a known issue with the HP iLO drive which causes the PSOD. Please refer this post PSOD esxi 6.5 on HP DL560 g8 (ILO ALLREADY UPGRADED)  and HP KB HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

No sorry this is not valid for G7 and if you take a look to the PSOD there it is not the same error.

The G7 die on smx ...

0 Kudos
DavidinCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI... My system was running fine with 6.5a (DL380 G7 )... I installed the HP these things (hoping to fix driver issues and assure it's running solid)...

Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

and NOW the server boots up starts to load the VMs then goes to the purple screen of the death.  A reinstall over didn't fix it, or even instlal with out losing the VM...

Crap, time to back up my VMs and Nuke the server....sigh...

Anyway to remove these updates (command line) or roll back ? Or should I do what I was planning above ?

0 Kudos