VMware Cloud Community
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5 AMD 1800X Support?

Does anyone have information on an update to ESXi to support the new AMD CPUs? I have an 1800X crying to run ESXi. At this point I am forced to run VMware Workstation Pro on it due to incompatibility with ESXi.

Thank you for any info you may be able to share.

Eric

25 Replies
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the "awesome conspiracy theory". I thought that was good. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Tim2015
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any updates on Ryzen / ESXi 6.5  with U1 released on the 27th July?  are things working o.k?  Very keen on some feedback before i pull the trigger on an AMD cpu for my home lab.  More bang for my $ compared to Intel - if it works Smiley Happy

Any feedback would be great.

Tim

0 Kudos
ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes the new update will install and boot with the 1800X. Thank you VMware!

Also keep in mind that Threadripper is coming in August also...

ParkvilleCS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update:

Everything has been running really well. I had some crashes that seem to be associated with Memory. If you are doing a Ryzen server make sure you have the latest bios and supported memory. I find that some memory and some speeds will make your system very unstable. Check your motherboards recommend/supported memory before you buy. You will save yourself a lot of time and headache. G.Skill and Corsair have a high compatibility with Ryzen but always check your motherboard specs for recommended model numbers.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Funks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Be careful - If the UA build date on your chip is older than WEEK 25 of 2017, then you might have one of the "marginal" Ryzen chips that SEGV's under high compile / work load (even on BIOS default settings)

You can find out what your UA build date is by looking at the Integrated Heat Spreader (it's stamped there) which requires removal of your HSF.

For example

UA 1725SUS

The 3rd and 4th digits is the YEAR, the 5th and 6th digit is the WEEK.   You can test it out on your system by performing the following (Live USB method)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6rwggi/ryzen_build_loop_compile_failures_under_linux/

If you get a SEGV in the build loop - then you may want to get an RMA from AMD (they'll most likely give you a new chip with a build date of 1725 or newer) otherwise you might end up chasing weird issues.  ThreadRipper is not affected per AMD, most of them are built 27th+ week of 2017.

More info here.

gcc segmentation faults on Ryzen / Linux | Community

and here

AMD Confirms Linux Performance Marginality Problem Affecting Some, Doesn't Affect Epyc / TR - Phoron...

0 Kudos