VMware Cloud Community
Tenderloin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.0U1a will not shutdown on Supermicro X11SSM-F

When I command the OS to shutdown via vShpere, the system appears to halt (not sure it was without error) but the video display remains with the grayed out normal screen and the system does not actually power off.  The motherboard is a Supermicro X11SSM-F with current BIOS firmware and IPMI firmware.  I have read a few threads where the IPMI could cause a similar issue so I disabled the "VMkernel.Boot.ipmiEnabled" under advanced settings but that didn't help at all.  I can however reboot the system without issue, well at least it might not be an issue, just need to ensure the VMs are actually shutting down properly before the reboot occurs.

Thanks for any help,

-Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bamboule
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had the same problem with my asrock E3C236D2I!

I did the upgrade to 6.0u1b ... and now the shutdown works well.

++

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bamboule
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had the same problem with my asrock E3C236D2I!

I did the upgrade to 6.0u1b ... and now the shutdown works well.

++

0 Kudos
Tenderloin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that answer, hopefully that contains the fix for me as well.  Now I need to figure out how to get the update.  The free (home use) version of ESXi is 6.0U1a.  I'll likely need to wait until they post the updated ESXi before I can get the update.  Hopefully they will post it sooner than later.

EDIT:  I downloaded the update via the Patch and installed it, went much easier than expected.  6.0U1b does in fact fix the shutdown problem.

0 Kudos