VMware Cloud Community
ArnoHarding
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.0 mouse and keyboard passthrough

Can someone please help with a problem: i have a host proliant ML350 - ESXi 6.0 installed - also with a NVidia K2200 graphics card. This works in pass-though mode to a monitor - easy no issue.

However, how do i go about getting the mouse and keyboard that is connected to the host to work on the VM. There is only one VM (MS Server 2008 R2)  i require to access this way.

The goal is to remove the need for people to rdp onto a VM when standing in front of the host.

any feedback would be greatly appresiated

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DCEworks
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get anywhere with this?  I am attempting to do the same thing.  I have enabled my pci passthrough on the pci device that controls the usb bus.  I have attempted to add a usb device but the keyboard/mouse (logitech dongle) do not show up.  I do have a 3D connexion space navigator device which is seen and I can pass it through.  I followed this KB article about adding the HID lines to the VMX which I also did.  The configuration file was accepted and after further examination the file was automatically appended with the following:

usb_xhci:4.present = "TRUE"

usb_xhci:4.deviceType = "hid"

usb_xhci:4.port = "4"

usb_xhci:4.parent = "-1".

does anyone know if the changing the .parent field would affect this availability?

0 Kudos