VMware Cloud Community
Dajinn
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.0 isn't connecting to my iSCSI 2012 Target - Can't figure out why..

I don't see what I'm missing here.

In Server 2012, I installed the roles, created the virtual iSCSI disk, selected "create a new target" for this disk, named it, grabbed the IP and IQN of the ESXi host and added them both as initiators, didn't set any authentication, and clicked finished.

In ESXi, I added the software iSCSI adapter, bound it to the available network adapter(i've also tried not doing this), and tried adding both a static and dynamic discovery. However when I add the discovery targets, no attached storage appears in the list and if I go into add storage no LUNs are available..

I've seen some guys mentioning adding something to the hosts file but they weren't clear on if it was supposed to be in ESXi hosts or Windows hosts file so I only tried adding it in the Windows hosts file.

you can resolve this issue by adding the IP to the storage server host file as follows

ESXIHOSTNAME.DOMAIN.COM  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

this is cause by iSCSI trying to resolve the host on the domain

I really don't think that's the issue and I'm using dynamic discovery via the internal IP anyway. I've played around with both hosts file on ESXi and Server 2012 and no changes have helped. I also created an additional vSwitch, added a VMKernel, and bound that to the iSCSI adapter. I've played with chap settings and done whatever I could think of at this point to try to resolve the issue. Whenever I go into the shell to enumerate the devices I only see my server's mirrored RAID, the backplane, and the optical drive, no LUNs or iSCSI paths...

Does the Server 2012 iSCSI target server being on a domain matter? Also, it has HyperV installed and the actual "NIC" that is getting the IP, gateway, DNS settings etc is the virtual HyperV bridged adapter, not the actual Intel NIC according to the adapters and devices pane in the network and sharing center.

Is there some ridiculously easy step I overlooked that isn't mentioned in any of these tutorials? Am I supposed to do something with the .vdhx file that Server 2012 creates for the iSCSI virtual disk? I've confirmed that the ESXi host is able to ping and connect to the target on the IP/port. I've also disabled the firewall multiple times and disabled/enabled rules during troubleshooting; nothing's worked.

0 Kudos
0 Replies