VMware Cloud Community
ILoveRouter
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.0 Console Connection Lag

I am running Juniper's vMX 17.2R1.13 on ESXi 6.0 currently and have been experiencing significant lag on the console window connecting to the Control Plane VM (vCP). I am currently running ESXi 6.0.0 build 3620759 and client 1.21.0 on a Laptop with an i7 7700HQ processor and 32gb of memory. It is running on Windows 10 Home, and the ESXi VM itself has been allocated 24gb in VMWare Workstation 12. Workstation was given 2 processors/4 cores for 8 total logical cores and I have assigned 2 CPU and 2gb of memory currently to the Juniper vCP VM.

I noticed that during boot the VM itself is using close to 100% of its CPU. It will fluctuate down a little bit once it is fully booted but I am not sure if this is the issue. Is the console connection tied directly to CPU usage or is this possibly a limitation with the console being opened in the browser (chrome)? It seems to scroll text, almost like loading an image on a dial up connection. I am not sure if increasing the CPU count for this VM will help it significantly enough, or if it would just take more resources and it's something I either have to tweak elsewhere or perhaps even just learn to live with.

Is there a better program that can be tied into ESXi for use in console connections? Can you tie it to something like SecureCRT or another terminal program in any way since it's a nested VM? Sorry I am new to much of ESXi and still playing around with it. I am a networking guy systems stuff is new to my world. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos