VMware Cloud Community
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.0.0, 3029758 Update patch

Hi,

Three questions.

1-what's the best/safest way to update patches for standalone host. No vCenter only have vSphere.

2-How can I monitor host hardware.

3- Host got hand getting following error-any idea whats that mean?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
11 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. Please use the esxcli software command to update the ESXi host patch

“esxcli software vib” commands to patch an ESXi 5.x/6.x host (2008939) | VMware KB

2.Could you be more specific interms of what you want to monitor on the hardware perspective and specify the make and model as well as hardware monitor differs from hardware to hardware.

3. It is a PSOD (purple screen of death) and possibly due to the bnx2x driver.. I am unsure of the ESXi host version from the screenshot.

You can check the correct and updated drivers/firmware from VMware compatibility guide and update them

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you MS,

Sure I'll go through the link to update host patch via CLI.

As far host is ESXi 6.0.0, 3029758.

How would/find i know about the current version bnx driver?

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1027206

You can check the current driver version using this kb

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MS,

we're not using ISCSi. Its just standalone ESXi 6.0 running on HP server.

Also, what would you suggest to setup the alerts like these kind of issue PDOS. Over the weekend host become un-available. What is the best way to monitor host?

Thank you

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

bnx2x is a network driver on the ESXi host. Please check if the bnx2x is installed by running the command esxcli software vib list  | grep -i bnx2x

If installed, check which driver version/firmware is installed and is it in use ..

Monitoring the ESXi host is provided by hardware partner or there are other third party monitoring tools available however if the ESXi host is going to PSOD then need to fix that PSOD first. Monitoring tool will only gives you the notification when the ESXi host does PSOD however it does not do any rectify the problem

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi MS,

Running above command getting following result.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi MS,

After above result-I searched in VMware compatibility guide and found in yellow highlighted-now if I click on download

pastedImage_0.png

then it takes me to all downloads not sure what do download from here and how?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You are already at the 1.78 driver version. There is a new driver version available with version 2.710.70 from the screenshot and if there is anything above that..pick the most recent one.

Click on the + symbol beside that driver and download that driver.

Kindly get intouch with your hardware partner to update the firmware as per the recommendations which is 7.10.xx before updating the drivers

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi MS,

What is the best way to update patches for single/standalone ESXi host. Current built is 3029758. Should I do 1 at time please advise?

Thank you

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can install the latest patch available for the respective version as VMware Patches are cumulative.

https://www.vladan.fr/how-to-install-latest-esxi-vmware-patch/

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
VM_Expert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi MS,

1) When logon vSphere Webclient using Chrome or IE and click on VM edit setting its just spining/thinking, any idea?

2) Working on SQL update project from 2005 to 2014-but don't have enough disk space to take snapshots. VM's are provisioned-Storage. What would you suggest?

Thank you

0 Kudos