VMware Cloud Community
gingerdazza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.x USB and Upgrade Questions

Hi,

I have an ESXi cluster that requires an update from ESX "ESXi 5.0 Express Patch 4" to at least "ESXi 5.0 Update 2". I'm new here, and I believe the current HP blades running ESXi boot from USB (or possibly SD).

1. Is there any easy way for me to find out via powercli or vSphere where each server boots from? (Preferrably centrally - don't want to have to run commands on each and every host individually)

2. Can you use VUM to upgrade USB and/or SD card installations?

3. Any known GOTCHAS for updating between these two versions?

.......I was thinking that it's probably best to install a seperate USB with 5.0 U2 instead of using VUM so the old USB stick can be my rollback. Wise? I assume doing this means it loses its configuration?

4. How best to backup and restore the host configuration if I swap out the USB?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. Is there any easy way for me to find out via powercli or vSphere where each server boots from? (Preferrably centrally - don't want to have to run commands on each and every host individually)

Hmmm.. yes. These steps would help you, but it is a round about method than checking on each servers individually:

[For checking if the server is usb boot or not, just type esxcfg-info -e]

1. In the vCLI, you can call the esxcfg-info -e as the additional command passing the list of servers from an array. for example:

esxcli --server myESXi --username user1 --password 'my_password' storage nfs list

vSphere Documentation Center

Yes sir, you can..

If you are mentioning between USB/SD card, then nope. ESXi sees all as storage units.

.......I was thinking that it's probably best to install a seperate USB with 5.0 U2 instead of using VUM so the old USB stick can be my rollback. Wise? I assume doing this means it loses its configuration?

Unless, your BIOS boot manager shows the USBs as two separate bootable entities. which I highly doubt Smiley Wink

You can use vicfg-backup from the vcli utility to back up your configuration and restore it back

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hmmm.. yes. These steps would help you, but it is a round about method than checking on each servers individually:

[For checking if the server is usb boot or not, just type esxcfg-info -e]

1. In the vCLI, you can call the esxcfg-info -e as the additional command passing the list of servers from an array. for example:

esxcli --server myESXi --username user1 --password 'my_password' storage nfs list

vSphere Documentation Center

Yes sir, you can..

If you are mentioning between USB/SD card, then nope. ESXi sees all as storage units.

Unless, your BIOS boot manager shows the USBs as two separate bootable entities. which I highly doubt Smiley Wink

You can use vicfg-backup from the vcli utility to back up your configuration and restore it back

0 Kudos