VMware Cloud Community
mcisar
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 w/ Adaptec 28700 Driver Update and CIM... drives show but no datastores

Running ESXi 5.0 with an Adaptec 5805 controller.  See that adaptec finally has a compatible CIM provider on their website so I downloaded and installed it (Adaptec CIM Provider v7.30.18837 for VMware).  The install went ok but it didn't see any controllers, figured that was normal since there was also a new driver available for download (AACRAID Driver v1.1.7-28700 for VMware) so I downloaded and installed it.  After rebooting the server came up just fine, and I'm able to query the controller via the CIM no problems.

Now, unfortunately is where things went downhill... the server now claims to have no local datastores.  in vSphere client the adaptor is showing under Storage Adaptors, and in the adaptor details it is seeing the 3 local arrays.  Under Storage on the devices tab it is showing the 3 local arrays, and under details it's showing the partitions on each array (the important of course being the VMFS partition on each)... but if I go to the datastores tab, it shows nothing.  Have tried the rescan option and still no datastores found.

Nosed around on the VMWare site and found the following

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/dt_esxi50_pmc_sierra_aacraid_5_1_7_28700/dHRAYnRAamRiZHAlZA==

which appears to be the same driver but downloaded and installed it... exactly same result.

Have reinstalled ESXi with the factory drivers on a new SD card and the server is back up and running again... but I'd still like to get that CIM provider working (which was the goal of this whole excercise).

Obviously something wonky that with the new driver installed it can at least see and display the partition table...  but that when it goes to look for VMFS partitions/datastores it finds none.

Anyone else had this problem, or have any suggestions of something I might have missed in the driver update process?  I have the botched install still on SD, so can easily swap it back in for further testing.

Cheers,

>>>>> Mike <<<<<.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In such a case you should find some hints/entries in the vmkernel log file. Did you already take a look at this?

For logfile locations, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2004201

André

0 Kudos