VMware Cloud Community
JDTcipher
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 upgraded host will not access remote subnet

I upgraded a 4.1 host to 5 and now the host will not access a remote subnet. Server is configured with a 192.168.2.x address and was accessable from anywhere in the organization before the upgrade. I checked addressing and gateways and all are correct. I can still access 2 other esx4.1 hosts on the same subnet with the same addressing configuration without issue. The new 5.0 host is accessable locally and seems to be functioning correctly otherwise. I can access it from Vcenter and Vsphere while I am connecting from the local subnet. I have not migrated any VM's onto the 5.0 host for fear the issue will effect the VM's.

I know that ESX 5 has extensive changes to the firewall and maybe not accessing the host from a remote subnet is a security feature?

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Even though you say you already checked the IP settings, please do it again. Make sure there's no typo in IP address, gateway as well as in the subnet mask.

André

0 Kudos
JDTcipher
Contributor
Contributor

I rechecked the IP settings and they are correct. They match the settings of the other esx4  hosts on that network segment (different IP's of course). I went ahead and  migrated a VM onto the ESX5 host and fired it up with out issue. Can access the VM from all subnets and it has internet access.  VM IP is also on the same subnet. Must be an IP misconfiguration some where but I am not seeing it. I wish there was a way completely shut the firewall off on the host.

0 Kudos