VMware Cloud Community
Jilaman
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 update1 forces hard RAM limit on free version?

I installed update1 on a ESXi 5.0 box running the Free Hypervisor,  and it was licensed with a free license that limits vRAM to 32GB,  and now that license is no longer valid.   It says because the system actually has more than 32GB of physical RAM it will not be allowed.  Is this a planned change?    I didn't see anything mentioned in the Release notes.

24 Replies
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Urgh VMware, why do this?

1.  3.5u3 was released with a time bomb that caused everyone's servers to stop on the same day.  :smileygrin:  I have little doubt that this was an honest mistake.  They immediately rushed out a new 3.5u3, but left the API open to writes by mistake, or "mistake", which made it the same as one you pay good money for.  3rd party vendors jumped on this too.

2.  Now we have 5.0.  People went through the roof when it was limited to 8 gigs when it first came out.  When everyone ran for Hyper-V and XEN, they quickly upped it to 32 gigs, and made this "mistake".

Perspective:  Around the 3.5u3 time, Hyper-V and XEN had just started their full frontal assaults, and were gaining a lot of mind share.  VMware got a new president, who came from Microsoft, who MAY have taught them how to make "mistakes".  Microsoft makes lots of "mistakes" like this.  They get people to use the product, increase their market share to dominant levels, and then increase their revenue without raising the price by fixing "bugs", forcing their products to comply with "best practices", and "improving" their licensing to make things "simpler".  If you want a case study, look at the history of Microsoft Small Business Server.  Therefore it does not necessarily follow in my mind that these are bugs.  They might have just been "bugs". Smiley Wink

Nobody has the courage to say,
"We've risked and invested a lot in our product, realize that the initial  excitement of lesser products has worn off now that people have actually tried to use them in a live environment, and know you're hooked on our products like a junkie looking for a fix.  Processors are getting more cores, each with more power, and memory is getting cheaper all the time.  We want a larger share of your increasing ROI because we can get it, and believe we deserve it."
If they can get it, it must mean they deserve it.  The only reason their competition can brag that they aren't doing this, is they can't.  So it's a card game, and we're both trying to skin each other.  Meanwhile, CITRIX and Microsoft are looking over our shoulders so see if they can get into the game and still make a buck.

0 Kudos
phydroxide
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. If you have somehow prior knowledge of where to download the package from, you can get it, but if you try to navigate to it or search for it, the update01 package is listed, but you're not eligible to download it. Then when you request a license, the zip package  suddenly dissappears from the list. I found a link to the same package at a vmware/patchmgr URL, and that downloaded fine. When I applied the update though, my ESX host failed with a message that the license had expired. The reason was too much RAM for the free version. I popped out all but 32G of ram, and it is working again.          

0 Kudos
NemoPeti
Contributor
Contributor

So I mst phisically remove the RAM from the server to got it work?

Why this isn't a logical limit, and when I have more ram esxi not use more then 32GB?

0 Kudos
jenstf
Contributor
Contributor

It is annoying not beeing able to update vmware on a server with more than 32GB memory. But I understand from a business perspective that to give away a complete, almost unlimited product doesn't get you very rich.

Windows Server 2012 is beeing released theese days. To run it in ESXi I would have to pull out 12GB of memory and upgrade to ESX 5.0 u1/u2

Microsoft Hyper-V seems to only restrict the number of VMs, not resource use. And with the Datacenter version you got unlimited VMs.
Time to convert?

msj222
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. I need to run Windows 2012 in a test enviroment with more than 32 GB RAM...

Yes, time to convert. Don't see any other solution for me.