VMware Cloud Community
Jilaman
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 update1 forces hard RAM limit on free version?

I installed update1 on a ESXi 5.0 box running the Free Hypervisor,  and it was licensed with a free license that limits vRAM to 32GB,  and now that license is no longer valid.   It says because the system actually has more than 32GB of physical RAM it will not be allowed.  Is this a planned change?    I didn't see anything mentioned in the Release notes.

24 Replies
JASA1976
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found it in the release notes

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201267...

PR 712342 not specific to free edition in the notes, but sound like your issue.

It should therefore be fixed not broken once you've updated. Unfortunatley I don't have a server with more than 32GB that I could test it on.

0 Kudos
sdrew
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same issue here after installing update 1.

Had 64GB memory, licensed for 32GB standard edition was installed, (so was only using 32GB), now wont start as says license expired.

When you try to enter the license back in you get:  "Error occurred when assigning the specified license key: The system Memory is not satisfied with the 32 GB of Maximum Memory limit."

Had to pull out 32GB for now to get things going. Would like to keep the physical memory installed as may upgrade to enterprise edition down the road.

Steve.

0 Kudos
venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The behaviour which you saw in ESXi 50 GA , wherein you could power on the Free hypervisor with more than 32GB of Physical Memory was a defect.

This has been fixed in ESXi5.0 Update 1 . That is the reason you cannot use physical memory more than 32GB in the Free Hypervisor

0 Kudos
sdrew
Contributor
Contributor

I however am not running the free version, but the Standard version licensed for two CPU's. Should that allow 64GB? Or is it still limited to 32GB?

If still limited to 32GB, I think I will be returning the license and just run the free version.

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Welcome to the Commuinty

Call VMware support this has to go there and your issue will be fixed ASAP.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It must be busted, and why they are distributing 5.0 Release.

On the normal download site they are distributing 5.0 Release as the latest.  I went to download Update 1 from a link and it said I hadn't registered for a license.  I applied for  the license, it didn't give me a license, and the download it tried to give me was 5.0 Release.

0 Kudos
venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Itfascin
Contributor
Contributor

Certainly helps.

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>Maybe its time to try downloading from the right link:<

However, unless I'm mssing something, that link is not to the free version, which is what this thread is about.

Thank you for your reply

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I downloaded the Essentials version, installed, BUT used the free version key from 5.0 release.  It accepted the key, and seems to work fine.

0 Kudos
kruddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I must just be really unlucky then.

I did a fresh install of ESXi 5 U1, downloaded the media from the Enterprise link within the vSphere section as the regular ESXi Hypervisor download does not show ESXi 5 U1.

I receive the following error upon trying to insert the license:

vSphereError.jpg

So I did a fresh install of ESXi 5 (version 469512) and was able to set the license key properly and the system works just fine.

vSphereError2.jpg

Performed an upgrade to ESXi 5 U1 and am instantly greeted with a license expiration notice:

vSphereError3.jpg

vSphereError4.jpg

So am I taking it correctly, that I need to physically remove RAM to make the system function properly?

Or am I just being impatient in wanting to upgrade my test box to ESXi 5 U1?

Thanks.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I must just be really unlucky then.   I  did a fresh install of ESXi 5 U1, downloaded the media from the  Enterprise link within the vSphere section as the regular ESXi  Hypervisor download does not show ESXi 5 U1.

I think you might have missed it.  If you followed the link posted by venkyVM, you will find it cleverly hidden as the first item in the list. :smileygrin:

I would believe the Enterprise wouldn't work.  The only reason that I thought the "VMware ESXi 5.0 Installable Update 1" might work, is because it is basically what you get with the free version before the time bomb goes off, and before you put in the free version license key.  Download the other one and let us know how that works for you.  It worked great for me.

0 Kudos
kruddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've downloaded it 3 different times, each from different links...

3/21/2012 = Enterprise

3/22/2012 9:35 AM =  Essentials

3/22/2012 12:07 PM = Standard

vSphereImage.jpg

It's the exact same ISO.

EDIT: And yes, I did go back and do reinstalls, it ends with the same result.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's the exact same ISO.     EDIT: And yes, I did go back and do reinstalls, it ends with the same result.

WOW!  It went incredibly smooth for me.  Either I've been very lucky, or you've been very unlucky.  The only light I can shed on this is your .iso has the same name and size as the one I have.  Maybe get another license key?

EDIT:  I can think of one difference, and that is I'm prototyping under Workstation 8, not on bare metal.  I can't imagine it would make a difference, but that's the only difference I can think of.

peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Just two comments:

1. There is only one ESXi 5.0 install ISO (resp. only one ESXi 5.0 Update 1 install ISO). Even the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor download is the same than the Enterprise Plus download. It is really only the license key that makes a difference.

2. It is by intention that the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor does not run on hosts with more than 32 GB RAM. See the last FAQ here.

It was just a bug in ESXi 5.0 that this limit was not enforced, and this bug was resolved with Update 1.

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2. It is by intention that the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor does not run on hosts with more than 32 GB RAM. See the last FAQ here.

It was just a bug in ESXi 5.0 that this limit was not enforced, and this bug was resolved with Update 1.

I just hate it when that happens.  Smiley Wink

We want bugs! We want bugs! More bugs!  :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

kruddy wrote:

So am I taking it correctly, that I need to physically remove RAM to make the system function properly?

Or am I just being impatient in wanting to upgrade my test box to ESXi 5 U1?

Thanks.

The license limit always referred to vRAM, not physical RAM. How much RAM have your VMs been allocated?

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How much vRAM does a VMware vSphere Hypervisor license provide?

vSphere Hypervisor license provides a vRAM entitlement of  32GB per server, regardless of the number of physical processors.  vSphere Hypervisor can be used on servers with maximum physical RAM  capacity of 32GB

That was 5.0, but not any more as indicated the the link peetz posted.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

IT_Architect wrote:

That was 5.0, but not any more as indicated the the link peetz posted.

It appears you're correct.

Urgh VMware, why do this?

0 Kudos