VMware Cloud Community
absx
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 sensors on HP Z800

Recently acquired a second hand HP Z800 workstation, upgraded it with a Dell Perc 6/i RAID controller and a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Plus card for OOB management with DASH, and been very happy running VMware ESXi 5 on it.

The one thing I'm missing though is access to the HW sensors, namely system temperatures and fan speeds. I understand there should be an item under Configuration > Health in the vSphere client, but all I see is a list of processors and another of software components. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try the HP Customized version? With a little luck they are using the same sensors as in the supported servers and they might show up.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you are looking in the wrong place. In the vsphere client you should have a Hardware Status tab after you click on your host in the left pane. In the web client, Hosts and Clusters> (click on the host)>Monitor>Hardware Status

0 Kudos
absx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Cannot find the UI you mention in the vSphere Client, but this is the view I'm looking at (although not in German): http://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wikiDE/images/5/5a/Modular-Server-Processor-5-Proc-Max-Therm-ESXi4.pn.... I seem to be missing the "Temperature" menu item entirely.

The web client listed the same information than the vSphere Client, so I think I might take Linjo's advice and see about this HP customized version. Hope I'll be able to find the missing drivers (?) without having to reinstall completely.

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My apologies, yes, that is the view when direct connected to host. I second Linjo's recommendation.

0 Kudos
absx
Contributor
Contributor

So I got the vib files aimed for the Proliant servers from http://vibsdepot.hp.com/ and installed the whole bundle.

Unfortunately no difference with the sensors, though. I guess I'll look for a hardware ambient thermal reporting solution to install in the enclosure.

0 Kudos