VMware Cloud Community
Jim82
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 not pingable by hostname

Dear community,

I'm trying to setup a ESXi 5 server at home. It only has 1 network card and I only have one network made available to me by my Linksys router (192.168.1.1).

My ESXi has an address of 192.168.1.111 (DHCP)

My workstation has an address of 192.168.1.110 (DHCP)

The ESXi, it setup with default values,

I can ping from workstation to ESXi via ip address: Reply from 192.168.1.111: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

but pinging "esxi01" which is the hostname, fails with: Ping request could not find host esxi01. Please check the name and try again.

I've tried setting the ESXi server to manual ip, that did not help either.

Creating a VM, results in the same problems.

So, does ESXi need a proper DNS server to resolve hostnames? I only have my Linksys WRT610N router on the network, that's it.

My router/ISP provides some default domain name "opasia.dk", but I've never encountered any issues setting up servers at home and being able to ping them by hostname.

I'm attaching a few screenshots, thanks in advance for any help.

/Jim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unless your router acts as a DNS server, your only option to ping the host by its name, is to add the ESXi host to your workstations hosts file.

André

AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe your ESXi is running as a VM under Workstation.  There is the network setting for this VM that runs the ESXi that you have to set.

0 Kudos
Jim82
Contributor
Contributor

Wow that was fast.

I don't think it acts as DNS server, but the odd thing is, that setting up an OpenSolaris server on that same hardware, and I'm able to ping by hostname :smileyconfused:

@anthonychow no it's bare metal ESXi 5 on dedicated hardware.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I guess the OpenSolaris server does respond to a broadcast in this case.

To find out whether an IP address is returned from a DNS server or the target system, you could use nslookup instead of ping.

André

0 Kudos
Jim82
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help so far, it makes sense that I can't ping the ESXi by hostname. But I'm confused as to why I'm not able to ping a VM by hostname either? I tried an OpenSolaris VM, but I can't ping that one by hostname either...

0 Kudos
Jim82
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone got an idea about my above question?

0 Kudos