VMware Cloud Community
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5 free on a 2 processors, 32 GB RAM HP Server?

Hi,

If a install ESXi 5 free edition on a HP DL380 G7 with 2 processors (total of 12 cores) and 32 GB of RAM will I be able to use all the hardware?

Or to use all the hardware I'll have to buy and use a paid version?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So with the free license I can use both processors and the 32 gb of RAM. What I cannot do is overcommit the memory, right?

Correct. see http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you will be able to use the hardware. However, the host will most likely be heavily underutilized. Using e.g. an inexpensive Essentials license will allow you to use up to 192 GB vRAM on up to 3 hosts with 2 CPUs each.

André

dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ask this question because I work in a school and right now I cannot afford a license.

I have the server installed with ESXi 4.1u1 but I wanted to upgraded it to ESXi5 free right now and further down the road buy a license.

So with the free license I can use both processors and the 32 gb of RAM. What I cannot do is overcommit the memory, right?

With the best regards,

Dino Miguel Sousa

Sector de Informática

Escola Superior de Educação e Comunicação

Universidade do Algarve

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Correct. see http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html

André

0 Kudos
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

All went well. I've done the upgrade. Like I said I'm thinking about the upgrade you mention.

But I'm trying to get centralized storage first so that I can take advantage of the full potential.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos