VMware Cloud Community
danw76
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 boot error

Can anyone suggest why I am getting this error when booting ESXi 5 free version:

Error loading /xlibs.v00

Fatal error: 6 (Buffer too small)

I am booting from a 4GB USB stick (Lexar JDFF4GB).  It starts the process of loading different things but fails on the above and I've tried it a few times with the same result.  The fact that it manages to load some things suggests the stick is readable, but when I put the stick into a standard computer it is not picked up.  I have tried this on 2 computers.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

How you copied in usb dd image or iso??

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
danw76
Contributor
Contributor

I am not 100% sure.  It was a while ago and I'm not very IT aware, but I used a program called UNetbootin which seems to turn a USB stick into a bootable drive.  It looks like I must have downloaded a file from vmware that UNetbootin coverts to an ISO and mounts on the USB stick. 

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Many USB-sticks is not reliably, please check it for errors.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
danw76
Contributor
Contributor

I think I will probably just buy a new USB Stick and re-instal as I think it may be slightly corrupted and I can't even access the stick on a standard computer to check for errors. 

1) Can you suggest a reliable USB Stick?

2) Should I buy one with more than 4GB capacity this time?

3) With a new USB Boot disk, will I be able to simply boot my ESXi server and continue where I left off, or will I need to re-configure things to be able to boot my VM's?

4) Where do I download the ESXi file that enables me to turn my USB Stick into a bootable ESXi OS?

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

For reliability you have to check supported USB model.

If you are using installer iso,  ideally it should work in 4 gb.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos