VMware Cloud Community
hermanpeckel2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5 and Gb Network

Folks,

I need a sanity check on my ESXi implementation on my home network.  I'm running ESXi 5 on a single box with a single NIC (Intel Pro/1000 GT) connecting to a Billion 7800N Router. The setup is fairly lo-fi, which is fine, but one thing that is annoying me is the fact that the physical newtork adapter on the host is showing up as 100Mbps.

The VMs on this host are all showing, via the network control panel, that they are connected at 1.0Gbps. I'm not sure which to believe. That said, the networking doesn't seem to be "Gb fast". The connection speed on the host NIC is set to auto-negotiate rather than 1000Mb as I'm a bit concerned about changing this and not being able to get back in. It is showing as Configured Speed, Duplex: Auto negotiate, and Actual Speed, Duplex: 100Mb, Full Duplex.

Anyhow, does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

HP

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

VM level network speed is based on your NIC adapter choice, means if you select E1000 it will show 1 Gbps speed or if you choose VMXNET 3  will show 10Gbps, so you have nothing do do with it. If you want to know your actual host speed, you need to check your host physical NIC on vSwitch. i hope i cleared your doubt.

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

VM level network speed is based on your NIC adapter choice, means if you select E1000 it will show 1 Gbps speed or if you choose VMXNET 3  will show 10Gbps, so you have nothing do do with it. If you want to know your actual host speed, you need to check your host physical NIC on vSwitch. i hope i cleared your doubt.

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
0 Kudos