VMware Cloud Community
indexs
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 NIC`s problem

Hello community!

I have installed second network card on the server and ESXi successfully fund it to. One NIC (Build in) is running on DMZ network second NIC (new Installed) is running on local network and is supposed to be used for ESXi management.

So here comes the problem:

After ESXi reboot first NIC is running ok and DMZ virtual server is accessible, but second NIC is not started or something is wrong in other words I can’t ping the local network IP. If i go on site and restart network management on the ESXi server, after that all NIC are working and it is possible to access ESXi management.

Where i can start and do some troubleshooting?

Thank you in advice!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
COS
Expert
Expert

Consider splitting off your NIC's. Use the second NIC in a new vSwitch only.

Also, set all your ports to maximum 1000Mb Full.

0 Kudos
indexs
Contributor
Contributor

Consider splitting off your NIC's. Use the second NIC in a new vSwitch only.

Thanks! I`ll try it as soon as possible. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

COS wrote:

I would not recommend doing so. Setting ports in manual mode could cause major problems and should not be set unless totally sure on both that the switch and the vmnics could not use AUTO mode to negotiate and you must also make sure to set both sides to the same setting.

Besides, if you look at the image from the switch web gui posted recently it has only options for selecting 10 or 100 Mbit. Most likely this is a switch without 1000 Mb support, so if setting the vmnics to 1000 Mb full all connectivity is likely to be lost.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
indexs
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks’ in advice!

I will set all the NIC`s from AUTO to 100 Mbit, maybe this helps also will configure the Cisco ports to 100 Mbit to be sore that works.

I will let you know the results as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

indexs wrote:

I will set all the NIC`s from AUTO to 100 Mbit, maybe this helps also will configure the Cisco ports to 100 Mbit to be sure that works.

If you do change the settings from AUTO on one end you really must do the same on the opposite side. However, your problems as described does not seem to be performance related but some logical/physical errors depending on which vmnic the traffic leaves the host.

As suggested earlier, you could try to create two vSwitches with one vmnic on each and one VM portgroup for each vSwitch. This will at least make sure the traffic always leaves the host the same way.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
indexs
Contributor
Contributor

As suggested earlier, you could try to create two vSwitches with one  vmnic on each and one VM portgroup for each vSwitch. This will at least  make sure the traffic always leaves the host the same way.

This seems to be most logical solution!

Thank you!

I have made changes to NIC`s speed on ESXi and Cisco. I will try next week to make a new switch.

Is somewere a small tutorial available for moving Management Network or Virtual Machine Port Group to new vSwitch?

0 Kudos