VMware Cloud Community
JCCHAMPION
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5 Kickstart : network --bootproto=static and --nameserver

Two Issues:

1. I have the --bootproto=static --ip=10.10.10.10 .... statement at the top of the kickstart but during installation I get an initial warning message /popup box that states a DHCP server could not be found (?!?!?). The installation continues successfully and does assign the static IP address and all other parameters. Why is there a WARNING about DHCP when I'm assigning a static ip address?

Added: This doesn't happen when built in a VM - but does on a physical server.

Below is the top 5 lines of the kickstart:

===============

network --bootproto=static --device=vmnic0 --ip=10.10.10.10 --gateway=10.10.10.1 --nameserver=10.10.10.2 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --hostname=esxi1.home.local --vlanid=551 --addvmportgroup=0

install --firstdisk=mptsas,local --overwritevmfs

rootpw --iscrypted {password}

accepteula

reboot

===============

2. For this particular implementation, there is no DNS for the hosts (please don't argue over this point). But if I omit the --nameserver parameter, which the document states is OPTIONAL, I still get the Warning/Popup about the nameserver not being set. The installation continues on successfully eventually, but, AGAIN, why the WARNING? These are automated installs and there should NOT be a warning about an optional setting - especially that temporarily stops an automated installation.

Is there a way to suppress the warning messages?

Any/all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-- JC

0 Kudos
10 Replies
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm getting the same exact behavior when pulling the KS file from USB (for some reason using HTTP to fetch the KS with static ip's doesn't cooperate like it did in 4.1).  I would be curious to hear if anybody has found a way around this.

Steve

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
JCCHAMPION
Contributor
Contributor

To get around the --nameserver warning I put a (bogus) IP address in there then remove it later in the kickstart (%firstboot) by updating the /etc/resolv.conf file. Not the cleanest workaround but it works :smileyconfused:. I believe there's also an esxcli command to remove the nameserver entry but I haven't looked into it yet.

The DHCP warning still comes up however which seems to be incorrect behavior - if you state STATIC then it should not be trying to reach a DHCP server. It acts as if it's an ESXi Embedded build at initial startup.

-- JC

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JC,

Did you ever resolve the DHCP error? I am seeing the same problem, but it seems more of nuisance than a serious problem. I am leaning towards living with it rather than opening a support case.

Thanks

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

akshunj wrote:

Hi JC,

Did you ever resolve the DHCP error? I am seeing the same problem, but it seems more of nuisance than a serious problem. I am leaning towards living with it rather than opening a support case.

Thanks

I had a bunch of problems in 5 that I didn't have in 4. Ultimately what I had to do was add  netdevice=vmnic0 in the kickstart line. For whatever reason it wasn't defaulting to vmnic0 like it previously did.

JCCHAMPION
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I added the netdevice=vmnic0 to the boot.cfg file on the kernelopt line and that seems to have done the trick.

Much Appreciated!

-- JC

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No problem,  Glad it worked for you!

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JC,

How did you add this? On the kernelopt line I have:

kernelopt=runweasel

Do I add

kernelopt=runwesel, netdevice=vmnic0

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JCCHAMPION
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure about runweasel since I use local kickstarts but this is the kernelopt line in my boot#.cfg file

bootstate=0
title=Building Server: ESXi 1
kernel=/tboot.b00

kernelopt=ks=file:///KS1.CFG netdevice=vmnic0

modules=/b.b00 --- /useropts.gz --- /k.b00 --- /a.b00 --- /ata-pata.v00 --- /ata-pata.v01 --- /ata-pata.v02 --- /ata-pata.v03 --- /ata-pata.v04 --- /ata-pata.v05 --- /ata-pata.v06 --- /ata-pata.v07 --- /block-cc.v00 --- /ehci-ehc.v00 --- /s.v00 --- /weaselin.i00 --- /ima-qla4.v00 --- /ipmi-ipm.v00 --- /ipmi-ipm.v01 --- /ipmi-ipm.v02 --- /misc-cni.v00 --- /misc-dri.v00 --- /net-be2n.v00 --- /net-bnx2.v00 --- /net-bnx2.v01 --- /net-cnic.v00 --- /net-e100.v00 --- /net-e100.v01 --- /net-enic.v00 --- /net-forc.v00 --- /net-igb.v00 --- /net-ixgb.v00 --- /net-nx-n.v00 --- /net-r816.v00 --- /net-r816.v01 --- /net-s2io.v00 --- /net-sky2.v00 --- /net-tg3.v00 --- /ohci-usb.v00 --- /sata-ahc.v00 --- /sata-ata.v00 --- /sata-sat.v00 --- /sata-sat.v01 --- /sata-sat.v02 --- /sata-sat.v03 --- /scsi-aac.v00 --- /scsi-adp.v00 --- /scsi-aic.v00 --- /scsi-bnx.v00 --- /scsi-fni.v00 --- /scsi-hps.v00 --- /scsi-ips.v00 --- /scsi-lpf.v00 --- /scsi-meg.v00 --- /scsi-meg.v01 --- /scsi-meg.v02 --- /scsi-mpt.v00 --- /scsi-mpt.v01 --- /scsi-mpt.v02 --- /scsi-qla.v00 --- /scsi-qla.v01 --- /uhci-usb.v00 --- /tools.t00 --- /imgdb.tgz --- /imgpayld.tgz
build=
updated=0

-- JC

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see. My kickstarts are on the DVD itself, so my path is to the cdrom. I tried adding the netdevice=vmnic0 after the ks=cdrom:/path but no dice.

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If anyone has any information to eliminate the DHCP error when using ks=cdrom:/ let me know. I have tried the suggestions in this thread and tinkering with the boot.cfg, but no luck...

Thanks.

0 Kudos