ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  ESXi 5 Cluster & Auto Deploy Dependencies

Posted Nov 15, 2011 12:57 AM

Hello,

Chicken before the egg question here: I have a DRS/HA cluster comprising of 2 ESXi 5 hosts. I'd like to use Auto Deploy to provision theses hosts. Auto Deploy is installed in vCenter Server is that is virtualized and lives in this cluster. If for some reason I have to power down both hosts (planned power outage without UPS or backup generator intervention) how will the hosts later be provisioned if they're both diskless and reply on Auto Deploy for their configuration? Will one host require ESXi to be installed on a disk (local or remote) and be powered up with vCenter Server (and therefore Auto Deploy) running before the other host comes online? Basically one host uses Auto Deploy for its configuration and the other host uses the traditional disk method?

Thanks,

Steve

• 2.  RE: ESXi 5 Cluster & Auto Deploy Dependencies

Posted Nov 20, 2011 08:51 AM

please find the link

blogs.vmware.com/files/vsphere-ha-5-best-practices-guide.pdf

http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vbsmile.png

• 3.  RE: ESXi 5 Cluster & Auto Deploy Dependencies
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 06:22 PM

Steve,

I would not recommend using AutoDeploy if you only have this two-host-cluster and no more ESXi hosts.

AutoDeploy is meant to ease the deployment and patch management of large scale environments.

In such environments it is good practice to have a separate cluster dedicated to running critical infrastructure machines (like vCenter), and the hosts in this "management cluster" should not use AutoDeploy but should be installed the traditional way.

- Andreas

• 4.  RE: ESXi 5 Cluster & Auto Deploy Dependencies

Posted Nov 21, 2011 12:13 PM

After reading VMware's documentation on the subject, you're exactly right.

Thanks,

Steve