VMware Cloud Community
mrpink37
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5U2 free disk space on VMFS-3 root decreases by 16 MB daily

Hello,

the free disk space on my ESXi 5.5U2 standalone host (build 2718055) decreases by exactly 16 MByte every day. I did not have this issue prior to upgrading to build 2718055 (I was running build 1881737).

This has been going on for weeks. Slowly but steadily the root kept filling up until it has gotten to a point where only 100 MB of free disk space is remaining. If this continues my host will run out of disk space 6 days from now.

I already freed some space by deleting all the log files (logs are being sent to an external logging host anyways). Also I disabled the dump file. But I cannot for the life of me figure out what is consuming the daily 16 MB. I already looked in VMware KB and found an article mentioning heap size allocation, however, I am unsure whether this might be the culprit.

There are 2 vms running on the host both of which ran for 2 years on 5.5U1 (build 1881737). Memory is not overallocated for those vms, I reserved exactly the amount that each vm is assigned in vm settings.

I have plans for upgrading the host to a larger SSD, however, for various reasons I won't be able to do so for another 4 weeks.

Does anyone have an idea on what might be going on here and how I can stop this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanielOprea
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

To solve the problem, apply this KB: VMware KB: Investigating disk space on an ESX or ESXi host
Recommendation: Make the upgrade for VMFS3  to VMFS5.

Regards

Daniel

PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT answer. Thanks!!
Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
Blogs: https://danieloprea.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos