VMware Cloud Community
ellafi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5

Hello everyone,

I  am a new student who is very interested in learning VMware. Now I am facing a problem that I could not figure out. I have installed two host, one is windows server 2012 and the other is Darn Linux, and neither one of them is able to connect to the internet.

I can not even ping the gateway. Could anyone please direct me the problem and how to fix it.

Please have look at the attachments for references.

Thank you for your help and have a great day.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you able to ping the ESXi host's Management Network address from the virtual machines?

What type/model of physical switch do you use? Some switches have port security enabled by default, which restricts the number of MAC addresses allowed on a single physical port.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you able to ping the ESXi host's Management Network address from the virtual machines?

What type/model of physical switch do you use? Some switches have port security enabled by default, which restricts the number of MAC addresses allowed on a single physical port.

André

0 Kudos
ellafi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. The answer is yes...Please see the attached.

Thank you and have a great day.

0 Kudos
ellafi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I am sorry I forgot to include the rest of the required info.The physical switch I am using is Cisco, model number SE2500, 5 port switch. The client and the server are connected to this switch.

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

0 Kudos
ellafi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

Thank you for your great help. You have nailed it sir. I replaced the switch, and now everything is working.

You have relief my two days stress. Thank you sir. Have a nice day.  Merci!

Best wishes,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Out of curiosity. You marked my reply as the correct answer. Does this mean that you were able to solve the issue by changing some port and/or security settings on the physical switch (which ones)?

André

PS: After posting this, I saw your latest reply. Replacing the switch is certainly one option Smiley Wink

ellafi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

thank you for your help. I have replace the original Cisco switch,Model SE2500, that I was using with Cisco 2950 switch, which resolved the problem I was facing for the past two days.

Bonne journée !Smiley Happy

0 Kudos