VMware Cloud Community
mosesm
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 update from 2143827 to 2302651 causes "No coredump target has been configured. Host core dumps cannot be saved."

Hi,

I did update my servers from ESXi 5.5  2143827 to 2302651.

since then I have the error message: "No coredump target has been configured. Host core dumps cannot be saved."

I checked this with a new installation of an ESXi 5.5 Server. No problem with 2143827 and earlier. After updating to 2302651 I have the same problem again.

Its on Dell Poweredge R720 and R730. Start devices are sd-cards and the virtual machines are on SAN-disks.

Anyone else with that issue?

thanks

Markus

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Did you check the coredump partition status in the host using commands,

run this command and see if you are getting any output

esxcli system coredump partition list

VMware KB: Configuring a diagnostic coredump partition on an ESXi 5.x host

Also, check if you are getting any information related to coredump in update logs on ESXi host

/var/log/esxupdate.log

Regards,

Suresh

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hello,

strange but you can correct this... see:

VMware KB: Configuring a diagnostic coredump partition on an ESXi 5.x host ´

you can also redirect them to some nertwork target (Dump collector) via:

# esxcli system coredump network set --interface-name vmkX --server-ipv4 xx.xx.xx.xx --server-port 6500

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

In addition if you see from (partition list) that coredump partition configuration status is "True" try to bring it up by:

# esxcli system coredump partition set --enable true

for network dumps:

# esxcli system coredump network set --enable true

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos