VMware Cloud Community
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi 5.5 on Mac Pro 6,1

This system is not on the HCL but I'm still looking at getting ESXi installed on it... I have used unebootin to create a bootable USB installer from VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0-1331820.x86_64.iso Booted from this and see a list of modules load. Then it gets stuck at "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel..." Is there some way to get a more verbose set of boot logs?

Tags (3)
68 Replies
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

If its beyond HCL then hope less people come across the same problem .

And suggest to use HCL hardware then check it .

Take care!

HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Blake, Thanks for you report. We intend to add MacPro6,1 to the HCL in the next major version of ESXi. Until then, I'll bring your message to the attention of our ESXi bootloader expert, to try to understand the issue.

trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks Regis! I have installed 5.5 to a USB stick. I'm going to try and boot from that vs installing it to the internal ssd. I'll give that a try tonight.

ddhan
Contributor
Contributor

I too had the same problem and same result.

trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

booting from a pre-installed version on a USB stick resulted in the same problem.

0 Kudos
Flo512
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Together

Is there a solution to intall VMWare esxi on the current MacPro 6.1 (Late 2013)?

Regards Florian

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Have you tried with vSphere 5.5U1 that was released yesterday?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
keeleysam
Contributor
Contributor

It is not working with 5.5u1, the result is the same error.

I would hope for a workaround before the next official release, which is sure to be months away.

0 Kudos
timschutt
Contributor
Contributor

Let me add my +1 to this as well. I have a pair on order due for arrival (huh) in April. A solution in weeks rather than months would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
AKhr
Contributor
Contributor

Yes for sure ! +1 as well here!

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@VMware, if you need a guinea pig I also have the new MACPro available for abuse (Late 2013 6,1).  You can reach me via IM or through vExpert channels if I can help in any way.

0 Kudos
mvanmullem
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone tried removing the secondary GPU (the one responsible for compute and not handling the displays) to eliminate the possibility of the driver failing to work out which GPU holds which role?

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I confirmed that problem persists even after removing the secondary GPU (good idea though!).  I tried simply disconnecting the cable and also completely removing the card (since I had some thermal compound handy).  The installer still hangs at “Relocating modules and starting up the kernel”.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FYI - I finally got around to blogging about this topic.  I used the pics I took while performing the testing (removing GPU, etc.) and added them here.  Still looking forward to the update from VMware to resolve the issue.  Let me know if anybody wants any new ideas tested out.

0 Kudos
Frozzty
Contributor
Contributor

Hi grasshopper,

thanks for you blog.

Does anybody know something new about about ESXi on a Mac Pro 6.1?

Or has somebody from VM an idea if or when an update will be expected?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are working on it. No ETA yet.

0 Kudos
Frozzty
Contributor
Contributor

@HPReg thanks for this quick reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
christianhuenin
Contributor
Contributor

Would be very interested in that as well. We are planning to buy a number of Mac Pro's for a research project and are planning to run them with ESXi.

Hope there will be an ETA soon.

regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
jtlee
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, we plan on buying 3-5 of these.  We just ordered one for right around 10k, it will be our proof of concept before we go all in.  Right now we are using 2 Mac Minis in ESX, we need to step up our game to Pros.

VMWare, can you at least give an ETA on when you think the next version or patch will support it?

0 Kudos